Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Hi my siamese cat Derek has been spraying though neutered today I'm trying low dose of amitriptyli

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Danielle3cats, Jun 28, 2017.

1. Danielle3cats

Danielle3cats PetForums Newbie

Tonight I've given Derek 2.5 amitriptyline after years of trying different things even rehoming one of my much loved cats leaving the two brothers Derek and Rodney but made no difference at all this is a last resort has anyone else tried this for there cat I'm praying it works !

2. Danielle3cats

Oh and I'm new and hope I've done this right

3. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hi, I also live with a neutered male cat (not a Siamese) who sprays indoors, so I understand it can be a trying situation to manage.

Amitryptiline is a heavy duty tricyclic antidepressant and personally I wouldn't want to give it to my cat because of the risk of very unpleasant side effects.

From a cat's POV perhaps the worse side effect that may occur is urine retention. As you will be aware cats have the physiological ability to concentrate their urine and therefore the last thing they need is a drug that can cause urine retention, because that would increase the risk of a UTI, or even a kidney infection.

Some side effects will only affect the cat for a short while and other effects might be long-term. In a worst-case scenario, a cat could go into a coma or experience convulsions.

Common side effects include constipation and/or diarrhoea, drooling, disorientation, drowsiness, weight gain, urinary retention, low blood pressure, changes in appetite, skin irritations, puffy face and increase in heart rate.

If used long-term, amitriptyline could adversely effect major organs. One of the most common long-term side effects of amitriptyline is damage to the heart. For this reason, before a cat is given this drug your vet should carry out an ECG (electrocardiogram) to make sure his heart is healthy.

Long-term the drug might also suppress the cat's bone marrow, damage the kidneys and affect his liver.

You mention you've tried various things in an attempt to manage the indoor spraying. Can I ask whether this included working with a cat behaviourist? If you have pet insurance you will be covered for this providing your vet makes the referral. These organisations are reputable and effective:

http://www.vickyhalls.net/ (she has written several books of cat behaviour and had a series on TV a few yrs ago)

http://www.apbc.org.uk/

http://capbt.org/findabehaviourist.php

Have you tried using a supplement that product that contains L-tryptophan? It did not suit my cat, but with other cats there is success. There is one called Nutracalm which is available from the vet:

https://www.nutravet.co.uk/nutracalm

Some people have had success giving Cystophan, which also contains L-tryptophan:

http://www.protexin.com/products/veterinary/cats/cystophan/6164

Unpleasant side effects seem to be rare with these supplements and dose of L-tryptophan they contain is apparently not large enough to cause serotonin syndrome to develop.

IME it is almost impossible to stop a cat from spraying indoors once they are in the habit of it. But I have found it is possible to manage it - without drugs.

4. Danielle3cats

Hi thanx for getting intouch I'm going to look at the to things you mentioned Amitriptyline is also used for cats who have crystals the vet says it helps some cats this really was the last resort and I haven't done it lightly but your right it can be habit my intentions were to try it for 12 was to see if it could help even taking him out the house upsets him sometimes if I cough he jumps his very nervy where his brother isn't so bad and no I don't have Insurance for therapy he was on a hormone based pill a few months ago for a week which made him even worse nervy and hiding away ! Which was why I took him off them and I will these new ones if I feel there having no effect or he starts behaving strangely again I shall keep you updated with it thanx again

chillminx likes this.
  5. Danielle3cats

I ment to ask have you found anything you feel helps even a little bit

6. Erenya

Erenya PetForums VIP

we've just started experiencing this too - my boy sprayed in the bedroom despite being neutered. We've since found a couple of other places where we're pretty sure he's sprayed and all the areas have now been scrubbed with bleach and a biological cleaner. So far we've not seen any other instances of spraying, other than in the garden.

Have you made sure that all areas he's sprayed in are cleaned with suitable cleaners - even a slight hint of smell could cause him to go back. you might not be able to smell it but he could? We'll be buying a blacklight to hopefully identify any other areas of spraying that we've not spotted.

I spoke to my vet and she agreed that it's probably stress related - our boy is a bit neurotic - and we're trying him on beaphar spot ons for a month to see how that works.

There are lot of herbal/natural/hormonal options out there, as Chillminx mentioned above - we're going to try all of them one by one so that we can get an idea of what works and what doesn't and then hopefully will be able to find a combo that is most appropriate and effective

7. vivien

vivien PetForums VIP

I have to take Amitriptylin to help me sleep with my back pain. I have a wedge fracture and osteoporosis. I find this very strong I have to take this 2 hours before bed. Within half hour to an hour I am out cold. And this is a low dose. 10ml. There is no way I would give this to a cat. Does your vet know your vet know you are giving him this?

Viv xx

Danielle3cats likes this.
  8. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

My cat is an outdoor cat (he is a rescue who had been a stray for some time). I found the spraying indoors reduced a lot once I allowed him to come and go as he pleased at night through the cat flap (my other cats are always shut indoors at night). This same tactic also helped with a previous adopted cat I had (a neutered senior cat aged 15) and in his case the indoor spraying almost stopped completely once he could go out at night.

I realise your Siamese may be an indoor cat, but have you considered getting an outdoor run for him, or better still cat proofing all or part of your garden. It may not eradicate the indoor spraying altogether but may certainly reduce it.

With my current 'sprayer' I have given him his own quarters in the house which he does not have to share with the other cats. Access is through an indoor microchip cat flap. His food station is well out of sight of the other cats too.

Try if you can to identify what triggers Derek to spray. Is is because he wants your attention? Or because he is frustrated about something? Or because he is feeling intimidated by Rodney perhaps? Or just doesn't want to share resources with Rodney perhaps.

9. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

This is just a warning that the smell of bleach makes some cats spray so will not always be the best product for cleaning pee. I had an oriental cinnamon boy returned to me because he was spraying. He was not neutered until he was 8 months old which probably did not help but unfortunately it can be in some lines. I managed to breed it out over time but I had to deal with The Pig for 18+ years. I tried everything including Valium but in the end had to restrict him to a small easily cleaned area when he could not be supervised. In the last few years of his life, he did stop but not because of anything I did.

In the past restricting territory has worked with other boys who were not as bad as The Pig.

Some people I know have had success with bitch pants or disposable nappies if you get really desperate.

Just to add my son was prescribed Amitryptiline when he was a hyper-active child and it completely knocked him out after he had a dose but when he woke up again, he just carried on as before until the next dose. It did not alter his behaviour and it made him feel bad.

10. Danielle3cats

Hi I've tried beaphar but didn't help sadly And a hormone based pill from vets can't remember the name but they give it to dogs who are over sexed but had a terrible effect on him and yes I e bought alsorts of special cleaners don't ever use. Bleach though cats are attracted to the to the ammonia smell in it the vet said I had such anxiety last nite giving him his first Quarter of amitriptyline but didn't seem to have any bad effects there not licensed for cats but there also not for children but are given in real need 7 yrs this had been going on for but got to the point of tripping out my cooker spraying up the tv any where he can some days worse then others he got up this morning and went to the toilet as normal and so far not one spray to day So I'll carry on and give home another quarter tonight and keep a close eye on him hoping to maybe give it for 12 weeks with a few to take him off them and see how he goes but any signs of he doesn't seem right I would stop like I did the other pills the vet gave me would just say the vet told me about a cat that had been run over they made well but it left her very nervous and pulling her fur out badly 12 was on this she was back to normal so she now takes nothing and is back to her old self I shall keep you updated

11. Danielle3cats

hi we love them no matter what but it hard to live with I wouldn't mind trying the pants but Doubt he would keep them on I felt so bad last nite giving him it but it's the last resort really I'd never give him up though they were bought for me when my only child 13 died in a accident 8yrs ago and they've helped me so much I hope I'm not making them worse with my anxiety I don't let them out but they have a. If cage they can go in when they want to

12. Danielle3cats

Hi yes they have a large cage with a cat flap to come and go in it as and when they please your right Rod is in charge and Occasionally they fall out but will you find one the other will be a sleep together do everything together cry for each other if separated Little demons The vet thinks it's more about having boys together a dominance thing though as I said his very jumpy and nervous I live on my own so it's very quiet for him ...

13. Danielle3cats

Hi yes it's the vet that Prescribed it I've read good and not so good concerning giving it to cats and dogs as the vet said Quality of life comes into it and Derek would jump sometimes even if I just coughed his very timid but very loving this has taken me a long time to agree to giving him this

vivien likes this.
  14. vivien

vivien PetForums VIP

I hope it helps your boy. I know it knocks me out. :oops: The times I've been on here chatting then dropped off lol.

Viv xx

15. Danielle3cats

Thankyou so do I will keep updating on here Actually I gave Derek another dose a hour ago he still seems fine as I've said I've not found a spray today indoors but just seen him do one but luckily through the wire of the cage which is aimed into the garden which is great and have to say at the moment seems quiet calm but this is just day two

16. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

Flicka was on amitrip, after all the behavioural and diet modifications failed. She started on quarter pills as because I'm on it myself, I'm more keenly aware of the need to slowly build the dose to minimise side effects (constipation is the boggy). Ditto I'd you're ever in a position to reduce the dose - it must be done super slowly.

17. Danielle3cats

Aww that makes me feel a little better like you I take it as well how did flicker get on with it ? Derek have only had it for two nites so far it doesn't seem to be affecting him to much he still had one spray yesterday. But only one and not so much

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice