Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

hi me again some more help needed with riley

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Cassie10, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Cassie10

Cassie10 PetForums Newbie

Hi all I'm back
    Just a concerning question very worried.
    i know riley is a puppy and he is going to nip and bite everything he is going to get his teeth into but it just seems to me as though he does it with aggrssion sometimes everything that moves he grabs hold of. he also snaps and growls if i take something out of his mouth.
    Does this mean he is going to be an aggressive dog when he is older, very concerned as i have 3 children. is thereanything i can do to stop this.

Thanksin advance

Lyn

2. tashi

tashi PetForums VIP

Hi Cassie10, it is a little awkward to say whether Riley is just being an over zealous pup or is going to be slightly aggressive. We have a pup here she is 8 weeks old and will grab trousers etc as you walk past - but she is just playing out puppy days! She will also 'rag' her toys and trousers if you let her and growl as she is doing it - but, there is not one ounce of malice in this it is just puppy play ;)

She is slowly learning the word 'stop' when she is doing the above and yes she does nip.

Can I ask have you had a puppy before or is this your first venture into the puppy 'thing'.

3. nici

nici PetForums Senior

the puppy play can be a bit distructive sometimes but if you set strong good bounderies now and good training then the pup should grow out of it. i have a 5 month old that still likes to grab a trouser leg and even ankles but a good firm no or leave it should do the trick, if you think that the pup is over the top then you need to set the rules now, no games that involve jumping up or pulling,( tuk of war) as soon as he starts getting out of hand stop all play and ignor as soon as he is calm again then praise and lots of it, you need to reward the good and ignor the bad, if pup is growling and snapping at you when eating the this needs addressing straight away, make him see that the food belongs to you and that he can only have it if you say, even if it means you have to sit right next to it and allow him to take a piece at a time when you say, hope this helps you can never start to young.
    also when you need to take something out of his mouth try the swop tactik, give him a treat in return for the item that you want remeber to say drop or leave it when doing so, then reward the good behaviour again

4. Cassie10

Cassie10 PetForums Newbie

Yes i have had a puppy before but have never been this nippy or aggressive with it (think it might of been runt of litter if thats got anything to do with it) Riley was the first to be born. We are teaching him leave and he does leave after a few times of saying it and then praise him for letting go and then i walk away from him and he grabs my legs and nips. No he is just snaping and growls for no apparent reason at all its got nothing to do with food

Thanks for all your help

Lyn

5. tashi

tashi PetForums VIP

My feeling is you have got a bit of a problem there and you could do with some help close to you and pretty soon before one of the children gets hurt and you all get too attached and the inevitable happens. I honestly think this is one that you would have to see him in his own environment to try to help you. My biggest fear is that he is going to be a big dog when he is fully grown and all sounds as if he is going to be dominant. Have a look see if you have any 'apdt' people in your area that could perhaps access him.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice