Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

hi ive lots of mice i cant get to calm down so i can handle them

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by mousemighty, Jul 21, 2009.

1. mousemighty

mousemighty PetForums Member

hi dogs mother youre knowledge is good ive 9 mad little hoppers who fly every were and i want them to goto goood homes, but 2 have escaped 2 times :eek: so im in need of help as there 3 weeks ive not had this trubole with other litters so any ideas pls one has already escaped so im useing a humane trap lol cost me £5 but she anit turnd up , so i am still waiting for her to turn up :D

2. Neza

Neza PetForums VIP

At three weeks of age they can be in what's known as the flea stage. If they are really jumpy then you shouldn't try to handle them unless you absolutely have to. Hopefully in 2-3 weeks it will pass.

3. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

I would try sitting in the bath when you handle them, then when they escape they are still enclosed, thats what I did with the baby hamsters and they eventually got the idea that I wasn't going to eat them, you feel a bit stupid but it works.

4. mousemighty

thanks ladies and gentleman great ideas :eek: why didnt i think of that
    i wouldnt have a mouse loose about the house

5. Neza

Neza PetForums VIP

I've used the bathtub technique with mice before, but not at the flea stage. I'd be worried because they can jump so fast and high that they might hurt themselves if they land wrong on the solid surface.

With many of my mouse litters there comes a point where you have to leave them alone, usually at the 4 week mark.

6. mousemighty

had success with bath as the there were just running about but i see youre point about jumping i put in abox, so that they would go under so i could lift , one at a time, but one mouse got a little wet, but success on sexing afew were handleable once in my hands thanks:)

7. Neza

Neza PetForums VIP

Sounds like you are making progress. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice