Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Hi im new

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Cazzy87, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Cazzy87

Cazzy87 PetForums Junior

Hello all I'm Caz and i just joined here, i have 2 kittens there is Tinker she is 6 months old and ive had her about a month now :) then yesterday i got a 10 week old kitten and he is called Joey...

Well Tinker has a huge problem with Joey and at first she just hissed and growled at him she clung to me loads as well all day yesterday then last night i went to bed and Tinker always without a doubt jumps into bed with me but last night she wouldnt :( she slept on the floor all night... So today the fighting has started Tinker does hiss and growl as much now infact barely ever but if they get close they fight you no the rolling around trying to bite each other and kinda slapping each other with there paws... Is this normal behaviour? i understand tinker is rather annoyed another cats come on her territory and it will take some time but really fighting? ... once in a while though they will lay next to each other and be ok but not very often.

anyway any advice on this would be appreciated.

just one more question tinker usually has a pouch of food each day and always has biscuits on hand and water well ... Joey seems to want to eat more than tinker does... and with him being younger i just dont get how he can stomache so much? they never go hungry obviously but should i give them more meat or keep the food as im doing?

thank you guys in advance.

2. Lel

Lel PetForums Senior

Hi and welcome :)

Many people will do slow, gradual introductions with a new cat, so this might help them settle together.

What you described seems like normal play, you may need to step in if its getting too rough or one is bulling the other :)

As far as food there are some helpful threads in the health and nutrition section of the forum about different types of food. You may want to have a look at those, I found them very useful. A growing kitten should have as much quality food as they want. If they will eat more wet and you can lose the biscuits you might prefer to do so, dealing with a biscuit addict is a stressful task! :)

3. merlin12

merlin12 PetForums VIP

Welcome to pf. Joey is very young and he is growing so he shoudn´t be allowed to go hungry. About the introductions, normally a new cat is kept in another room and little by little he gets to meet the other feline members. Cats are very territorial and not all of them take kindly to sharing both their homes and slaves.
    Would love to see pics of your two kitties.

4. Jenny1966

Jenny1966 PetForums VIP

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

Slow introductions always seem to be the better option. Have a read through this.

Integrating Kittens with Cats

As for Tinker not coming to bed with you, Molly was the same when Manny joined us :) Was probably the thing that upset us the most!! It took about 2 weeks before she forgave us and came back for her nightly cuddle!!

5. Cazzy87

Cazzy87 PetForums Junior

Hi guys thank you so much for your advice...

I didnt no you should introduce them slowly like that i feel so bad now but as the first reply stated they are probably just playing as they do follow each other around the house alot i will deffinately keep an eye on them and split them if needs be :)

and i will deffinately be sure to have a look through the nutrition section...

May i also add that my cats never go hungry they always have dry food out all day long just wasnt sure if they should be eating more wet food as Joey especially likes wet food...

i'll go along and have a read through there though :)

thanks guys

6. catgeoffrey

catgeoffrey PetForums VIP

We were going to do slow introductions but Ruxpin had other plans. Geoffrey came home and we opened the door of the safe room to leave for a minute and he bolted out to meet Geoffrey! They did hiss etc at first but ok now, just 4 days in so we have been very lucky. Every cat is different so keep an eye on them and see how it goes. Good luck and post some pictures soon! :D

7. Cazzy87

Cazzy87 PetForums Junior

that is brilliant :) my two at the moment are curled up sleeping next to each other so i dont think ill have any problems apart from them fighting at times :)

i am trying to figure out putting some photos on now :)

8. Oscars mam

Oscars mam PetForums VIP

They sound like they are getting on just fine if they are laid together :D

9. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

Hi and welcome to the forum :)
    You can add photos by clicking on the paperclip icon and uploading photos from your computer or you can use a site like photobucket and copy and paste the image code from there :)
    It sounds as if things are going well between Joey and Tinker if they sleep together. I would suggest feeding as much wet food as you can rather than the dry - it is so much better for them :)

10. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Hi and welcome to the madhouse :D

11. ellsbells0123

ellsbells0123 PetForums VIP

Welcome xXx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice