Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

hi im new siberian??

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by aella851, Aug 3, 2009.

1. aella851

aella851 PetForums Junior

Hi

I have an allergy to cats, i sneeze alot and have itchy eyes, i have a friend and have stayed at there house plenty of times and they have a semi long hair tabby cat (moggy) and i have never had a problem with the cat, so i think there is hope for me yet as i love cats so much, mad thing is i have been brought up with cats and my allergy started when i was pregnant. I have been reseraching siberians, norweigion forest and maine coons, siberians are the ones that i am going back to. any advice on the breeds i would be very interested for feedback..

thank you

aella851

2. messyhearts

messyhearts PetForums VIP

They're all related so I think the best policy would be to meet quite a few breeders of each where possible. Siberians tend to have a higher pet price as well, not sure if you were aware of that or if that affects things....

I have a Maine Coon & couldn't tell a MC and a Norwegian apart until I saw them in the flesh so well worth a trip to meet some! I would suggest a cat show but that may just be horrible for you...

3. Indie

Indie PetForums VIP

Hi and welcome to the forum x

4. Princessiona

Princessiona PetForums Newbie

Hi,

My bf is mildly allergic to cats. He sneezes and gets very sniffly after being around them although he is ok once he is used to cats.

We recently got maine coons and he has been fine. They are wonderfull! Very friendly. We originally got a mother and daughter but sadly the mother became seriously ill very soon after we got her and died. The breeder kindly gave us another kitten as we needed to cats as we are out in the day and we got him last night. He is settling in at the moment but he is very gentle and affectionate. The original kitten (Chloe) is the most playfull kitten I have ever met, she just doesn't stop! She is very outgoing and likes to follow me about the house and I often wake up to find her sleeping next to me.

Although I only have a little bit of experience with them I strongly reccomend maine coons (aslong as our allergies are ok with them) as they are adorable!

5. FREE SPIRIT

FREE SPIRIT PetForums VIP

Hiya and welcome :D

6. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

Siberians have been found to have less protein in their saliva but then scientists said this was not proved so they aren't hypoallergenic!

Not sure what breed would be best for allergies? I think short hair would be better than long wouldnt it? No idea but welcome! :)

7. spid

spid PetForums VIP

My hubby is allergic to some cats (most moggies actually) - but fine with my Birman.

8. aella851

your husband allergy sounds like me, i might see if i can meet a birman and find out how i get on. I am hopefully going to see someone who breeds siberians and she has a birman cat :)

Angela :)

#8 aella851, Aug 4, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2009
  9. aella851

Every short hair i have come across i sneeze, my boyfriend has a semi long haired tabby and I have never had a problem with his cat.

:)

10. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

Ahh lol! Maybe long hair better then lol! :D

11. plumo72

plumo72 PetForums VIP

Hello and welcome :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice