Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

hi im new here.x

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by lisat.x, Apr 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lisat.x

lisat.x PetForums Junior

hi i would just like to say hello.i have a 11 month old cat whos pregnant and due about may 10th.we tried our best to keep her in the house when she was on heat but she got out!!!there was a cat outside who had been hanging around for the day and as soon as she was out he made a play for her which has left her pregnant.ive worked the dates out and it looks like she is due may 10th.ive put her a nesting box out with a soft towel and newspaper in for her.any other advice would be most appreciated.lisa.x

2. Chez87

Chez87 PetForums VIP

How come you didn't neuter her beforehand? :( She could have been done from 6 months old.

3. gloworm*mushroom

gloworm*mushroom PetForums VIP

It is a shame she is pregnant so young, will you be getting her spayed when the kittens are old enough? She could have been spayed at 6 months at the latest :)

Anyway, whats done is done :) Make sure you have some money put aside in case anything goes wrong with the birth, and naturally keep her inside until she is spayed once the kittens are born.

Make sure you get yourself some accurate kitchen scales as the kittens will need to be weighed every day once they are born to make sure they gain around 10g a day. Some kitten milk replacer is always good to have on hand if a kitten is struggling or not feeding from mum.

Naturally make sure that no other cats can access the house in that time, or get out :)

#3 gloworm*mushroom, Apr 24, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2011
  4. lisat.x

lisat.x PetForums Junior

hi thank u for the warm welcome.yes she was due to be done by vets.the vets wanted to be sure on dates of heat so she was inside the house until she was but got out of a window which 1 of my girls had left open as it was a hot day!!!she went thru to neighbour garden and tried calling her back and shaking treats for her but she wouldnt jump back over the fence and the tom got her before we did.and yes she definatly will be in the house until she is ready to be done by the vets.x

5. gloworm*mushroom

Argh forgot something incredibly important. Kittens need to stay with mum until 12 weeks, and should have 2 vaccinations before they leave to new homes (at 9 weeks and 12 weeks)

Please do not let them leave before this age. They are very vulnerable and need to learn how to be cats, so 12 weeks is how long they should stay. I would also encourage whoever the kittens go to to get them neutered to avoid them in turn having more kittens.

6. lisat.x

lisat.x PetForums Junior

hi thanks for the info.is it best to weigh at a certain time of day or just the same time each day?im with the vets on the healthy scheme set up so they on hand all the time so there if needed.x

7. gloworm*mushroom

The same time each day should be fine.

What is your cat eating at the moment? She should be on a very high protein diet, the highest meat content you can find. I ave found pet shops pretty limited on this front but zooplus.com and http://www.petforums.co.uk/cat-health-nutrition/112132-z-wet-food-cats.html this link will help you to pick a really good food for your cats. If you feed your mum cat alongside the kittens they will eventually start walking in it and licking it off their paws to help with the weaning.

8. lisat.x

lisat.x PetForums Junior

shes still on whiskas kitten meat and whiskas dry food.she was gonna change onto adult food but i read on a website to feed mum on kitten food anyway then kittens will have it.please correct if wrong.she doesnt eat a major lot of food to be honest she quite a small cat (apart from her bulge belly).x

9. gloworm*mushroom

Kitten food is a bit of a, hmm, marketing thing :p There is everything you need for a kitten in adult food. You can keep her on kitten food for sure whilst shes preggo, but I personally would go for a higher quality kitten food as whiskas isnt the best nutritionally.

10. Gratch

Gratch PetForums VIP

Just clarifying you don't mean 'outside' out :D You seem to have gotten alot of good advice already :) All I can add is to read up on how to assist in the birth if needed such as opening the sac/cutting the cord/resuscitating the kitten and so on on the off chance you need to. Jot down the number of your nearest vet and emergency vet just incase aswell and if the kittens need topped up or anything they should be fine until you get to the vet and get supplied with what you need and taught how to feed. Hoping for a happy and healthy pregnancy/delivery for kitty and babies! Please do keep us updated :)

11. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

can be done from 3months in some places now :001_smile:

you say she is quite small? In this case you need to watch her very closey as she may need a c-section, have a good £700 put aside for this, find as as much as you can as it isnt easy, take a good few days off of work befroe she is due & 2 weeks after, id actually say the entire time, but I know that isnt possible for some people.

DO NOT let her outside now nor until she is spayed after as she can get pregnant right away!

12. loz83

loz83 PetForums Member

How many are you expecting? mine had ker kittens a week and a half ago but she needed a c-section for the last kitten as her uterus had stopped contracting, mum and kitten were fine :D

just a warning because if I hadn't known she was having 5-6 kittens, I maybe wouldn't have thought there was one still in there after she'd had 4 of them :)

Also, if you have a good vet they may allow you to do a payment plan like mine did (c-section cost £345 and kitten flea spray was another £20, plus the 2 check-ups for mum for stitches), just a warning as it can happen, if i hadn't come on here I wouldn't have been aware of it :)

13. loz83

loz83 PetForums Member

It was on the news this morning I think about kittens being spayed from 10weeks :) spose a lot of it depends on whether the vet will do it or not, I personally would get them spayed early before they go to their new homes, as cats protection have a lot of offers on, my mum got hers done at a local vet for £5 a cat (they were a male and female stray she'd taken in and had already paid for a third on full price) so it's very helpful :D

14. gloworm*mushroom

if you can find a vet willing to do it at 12 weeks neutering before new homes would be possible. My vet personally doesnt do any neutering before 6 months.

15. Gratch

Gratch PetForums VIP

Alot of vets don't. Will help alot when it becomes common practice I think.

16. loz83

loz83 PetForums Member

my vet wont do em that early either, I know with males, as long as the 'nuts' are big enough they can do it quite young, but the earliest iv ever found them to do spaying for females is 5 and a half months at a push :)

17. michelleandjohn

michelleandjohn PetForums Junior

hi there

we are new on here too. our first litter is due any day so hopefully once this has happened we can help u a little more.

michelle, john and luna

Gratch likes this.
  18. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

yes some do it from 6 weeks old, if it stops people letting moggies outside by 'accident' id pay for it myself!! :)

R.E 'flea spray' there shouldnt be any fleas in the home to start with, so use prevention on your adult cats, that way young kittens wont need chemicals on them :)

19. lisat.x

lisat.x PetForums Junior

yes her nesting box is in the "house".my cat is on scheme with vets so she has regular flea treatment and regular wormin treatments so she should be free from them!!our vets wont do them especially thet early that why mine hadnt been dun as she had to have a heat cycle 1st thats why she was due to be done.
    thank u for people who have offered a kind welcome and kind advice much appreciated.x

20. catsmum

catsmum PetForums Member

if this vet is in the UK could you name him or her please because i have never heard anything so strange and stupid. a vet saying a young cat has to go through a heat cycle before he or she will spay

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice