Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Hi Im new and have a 1 year old cat who has been run over

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by kelike, Nov 16, 2010.

1. kelike

kelike PetForums Junior

Hi All,

My poor little Twiglet got run over on Sunday, i'm totally devestated and lost without him at home. His pelvis has been broken in 2, he has been in the vets since and they won't operate until he shows he can use his bladder. As yet nothing. We have feared the worse and know what we should do to stop his pain, but really how long should we wait before we make that dreadful desision??? Is it likely he can't do it or just wont do it at the moment due to pain etc.

Thanks

Worried kitty mom

2. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Hi welcome to the forum,so sorry it is in such sad circumstances.I'm so sorry to read about you cat,I have posted a link that you may find helpful.This poor cat suffered terribly and if it had not been for the determiation of her owner she may well not be here today.She has been left with a slight incontinence problem but it is early days yet and is hopefully improving. http://www.petforums.co.uk/cat-heal...en-shot-hit-car-nerve-damage-please-help.html It is quite a long thread but well worth reading.I do hope your cat recovers well ,please keep us updated.

Is your cat in the vets or at home,if your cat is at home and not urinating I think you need to ask the vet to help to empty the bladder.

#2 buffie, Nov 16, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2010
  3. Sianne5

Sianne5 PetForums Junior

How awful for you - Im so sorry to hear this. It must be agony to watch your beloved pet in pain. How about asking the vet if there are any painkillers he/she can prescribe for you to take home to give him?

4. kelike

kelike PetForums Junior

My baby is in the vets, they are having to help empty his bladder just a little as he needs to show he can do it himself. They wont operate until this happens..so if he doesn't do it over the next 24-48hrs then it is unfair to keep him in pain as they won't operate we have to say goodbye i think...they have said they will not go ahead and operate without him using his bladder. So i am just hoping and praying he does it and soon. If we let him go i will always wonder if it was too soon and that mayeb if we held out he would be ok to do it himself..but then is that cruel to leave him in pain to wait and see, it is such catch 22!! Thanks for your thoughful replies. x

5. goldleaf

goldleaf PetForums Member

really bad news and you are all suffering. i would look at it from your cats view. dont be too hasty he may turn around and be savable. he would endure the pain given his options im sure you'd agree. listen to your vet, they do this every day sadly.

6. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

Really sorry to hear this.. Someone posted a sililiar story on here I think last week.. and Im sure it took a week for their kitty to have a wee.. I have everything crossed for you that he pulls through.. XXX

7. tylow

tylow PetForums VIP

What an awful situation :( I hope things work out for the best for your poor boy

8. kelike

kelike PetForums Junior

I have just read the link regarding Tilly...what a poor little thing to be treated so bad by a so called person!!! it makes me cry so bad. It has also given me a little hope in that if we wait longer something good may happen.

9. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

That was what I hoped .I know the owner was so determined to try everything.I hope she will contact you herself as it may help yo compare notes.Good luck and dont give in to quickly,vets can control the pain so your cat shouldnt be suffering.

10. kelike

kelike PetForums Junior

AGREED!! I just called my other half who now feels like i do, i also called the vet who said he is wrapped in a blanket in a kennel looking ok and not making any noises to suggest he is suffering too bad, plus with pain relief he is on will be helping him to be in some sort of comfort...i don't htink i could live with thinking we acted to soon as didn't give him chance. Afterall he like Tilly, dragged himself down to our neighbours where he normally plays with their cat and they whipped him up to vets straight away. We were out and i can't thank my lovely thoughtful neighbours enough.

11. kelike

kelike PetForums Junior

Meanwhile all this is going on his sister (noodles) is at home, wondering where he is..she is meowing constantly and looking all about the place. She is now sitting on th efence out the back meowing into the feild, i am sure she is calling him

12. MissBethM

MissBethM PetForums Senior

Hi Kelike
    I'm so sorry to hear about Twiglet :(
    The main thing the vets need to concentrate themselves with now is Twiglet's pain relief and it's management to ensure any pain/discomfort is minimised whilst you give Twiglet time to recover and hopefully regain the capacity to urinate.
    I would imagine large doses of steriods will be being adminstered to help reduce the inflamation around the nerves in the pelvic region?
    Nerve damage is strange thing and after Tilly was shot I did lots of research about it.... if not permanently damaged, nerve tissue can regenerate. This is what happened in Tilly's case... she was totally paralysed at the back end (legs, bladder) for the first few days but nerve function gradually returned.
    I was put under quite a bit pressure from Tilly's vet to put her to sleep.... I knew my baby deserved more time and obviously this paid off as Tilly recovered and regained use of her bladder.
    Please do not let the vets pressurise you into having Twiglet put to sleep, you need to take it day by day and any sign of improvement is positive. Tilly didn't have a confirmed wee for a week after she was shot - in the meantime she was manually expressed and sometime catheterised (to give her bladder a rest)
    Please feel free to ask me any questions - I know how you must be feeling rite now and it is a nightmare. I really hope Tilly's story can help give you a little hope
    Sending lots of love to Twiglet
    XX

13. tinamary

tinamary PetForums VIP

I had a similar situation a few years ago. My elderly cat (19 and virtually blind) had heard my sons voice and followed him outside. (he left the door open as they do) He was talking to his friend at the car and she went under the car. As he backed off he ran over her.
    They rushed her to the vets and her pelvis was broken. She was kept in for quite a few days and would only eat and drink when i went in to visit her.(thats what they told me)
    We brought her home and she had to be kept in a cage for weeks. It was torture for her and horrid for us to watch but she did make a good recovery and always had a limp but got around fine.

Keep your spirits up and i know its hard but im sure that things will turn out ok in the end. Sending you hugs

14. kelike

kelike PetForums Junior

Oh Beth thank you for your kind words. Do you think i can ask to see him again? I don't want to disturb him but can't help think is he sees me or smells me at least, he will know we haven't abandoned him, i want to take my fleecey dressing gown to him as he loves it so much. We will hold out as long as the vets aloow us i think, they are talkign about another few days so hopefully he can do something by then. Surely his medication could stop him going? or just the pure shock of it all? I dont know... so many things racing around in my head. xx

15. kelike

kelike PetForums Junior

Hi, do you think i should take some of his favourite food, or will he not eat? I keep forgetting to asj the vets all these questions i have...His pelvis is broken in 2, so bottom half detached from top, it would be a serious operation with pins and plates, then 6 weeks cage rest - they said the bone part can be sorted over time but the bladder is a real big issue

#15 kelike, Nov 16, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2010
  16. MissBethM

MissBethM PetForums Senior

Yes I would definetly ask to see him - your presence will be really comforting for him... Tilly never stopped purring when I would visit her (happy purrs I may add!) I would leave the fleecy dressing gown with him so he can snuggle up to it and smell familiar scents :)
    The shock of the accident combined with the inflammation around the nerves would certainly cause the bladder to stop working (hopefully temporary loss of function) - as long as the vets are monitoring how full Twiglets bladder is becoming and taking appropriate action to empty it (the bladder will damage if it becomes too full and is not emptied) - I would imagine they will manually express him at first and if he has not had a wee by himself for a few days they will insert a catheter for a couple of days to rest Twiglet's bladder.
    From the research I did, I understand cage rest is the answer for the broken pelvis? I'm sure the vets will be advising you well but please bear in mind it is very difficult for them to accurately estimate how many cats recover from such an unjury.... this is because in the majority of cases the cat is put to sleep after a short time so we will never know the true number of cats that would actually make a full or partial recovery...
    I feel like I'm back in August when Tilly was at the vets, it was the most stressful experience and I really do feel for you so much
    XX

17. lizward

lizward PetForums VIP

I am sorry. The vet probably is not willing to operate because if the cat does not regain use of his bladder, that indicates nerve damage and you migth well end up having to have him PTS anyway. I have had this with both a dog and a cat before, and it's understandable that the vet would not want to add on the cost of the operation when it is possible that they might be putting the cat to sleep anyway.

Liz

18. kelike

kelike PetForums Junior

Hi Liz,

Yes they explained that to us. We understand whay we are waiting but just want to wait long enough to se eif he pulls through rather than end things too soon. Poor little thing.

19. kelike

kelike PetForums Junior

Hi just back from a very long lunch break..time seems to be ticking very slowly, can't wait to finish work and hopefully get to see my little Twig. I think cats can go quite a while without weeing anyway cant they? Oh gosh, i am going out my mind my little baby is poorly.

20. Sianne5

Sianne5 PetForums Junior

You are doing all you can for your cat, and please don't feel you are at fault in any way. Take him comforts, talk to the vet, whatever helps, but do remember you have done your best by providing him with the veterinary care he needs.

Make a fuss of the one at home, she needs you too. Sending you prayers xxxxx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice