Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

hi i'm new, and also have a cat crisis, help!

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by imogenwright93, Apr 1, 2011.

1. imogenwright93

imogenwright93 PetForums Newbie

Our cat Charlie's twin sister was hit by a car on wednesday and killed:(
    We are all very sad, but mostly concerned for poor Charlie.
    Although he has shown no massive signs of grief, he has been much more reserved, and does not run around as much outside, prefering to just sit on the wall, or on the windowsill as if looking for Lola.

We don't know whether to introduce a new cat or kitten into the house to keep Charlie company.
    Any ideas on whether we should or not, how long we should wait etc.?

Please help
    Imogen

2. Marley boy

Marley boy PetForums VIP

I am so sorry for your loss hun :( if you feel like you are ready for a new cat then it might be a good idea. It might not cheer him up straight away but once he is used to the new addition it will be company for him, especially as he is used to having another cat around. Could you go and adopt a cat or kitten from a rescue center?

3. Eroswoof

Eroswoof Guest

I agree with Marley but just wanted to add how sorry I am for your loss :(

My puss lost her sister and was so sad without her but I also have another cat and they became much closer after Hissy passed away.

Good luck and I hope you all feel better soon

Em
    xx

4. Ally-Kats

Ally-Kats PetForums VIP

So sorry for the loss of Lola. Charlie is probably lost and confused and that's why he is so quiet. They do grieve, I had two cats in the past who weren't blood related and when the younger was sick the other watched over him. When he died he laid on the grave for days and sat on the fence above as well. We didn't get another cat as we felt we were lucky that they accepted each other in the first place(there was 2 years between them) and we were not sure another would be accepted as the older one was 8 by then. But if you feel that your Charlie could accept another cat then go for it, only you know your cats personality and whether it would be ok. Good luck with your decision.

5. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Welcome to the forum.So sorry your first post is such a sad one.I am not sure on this,I think it is possibly to early to try to introduce a new cat.If your other cat is grieving for his sister it may be more difficult for him to accept a stranger in his territory.I would leave it a few weeks until you are sure he has accepted that she has gone.

6. Eroswoof

Eroswoof Guest

Just to add, in light of the other two posts which were much more thought out than mine :eek: (as is usual) - mine WERE all weeny kittens and I did already have other puss but as was said, you know him best.

Em
    xx

7. imogenwright93

thanks for all your replies,
    so tragic as she was only just over a year old :(
    i think we will deffinatley be giving him a few weeks grieve and see how he is after that,
    i think it would be best to get another female cat, although noone could replace Lola to him, maybe a female would be best as males would be more aggressive over territory?
    This happened with two previous cats we had, Tarmac and Jake. They got on okay but didn't ever really sleep near eachother and sometimes got in squabbles.
    But thanks for all your replies, really helpful and helping me to be a bit less sad about poor Lola x

8. honeysmummy

honeysmummy PetForums VIP

i am sorry for your loss...i do agree with buffie...good idea but maybe give charlie some time to grieve :) xx

9. imogenwright93

Hi, the woman from the RSPCA branch near us called to say that in a few weeks time we could have a look at some kittens. she said Charlie then would feel as though he was the domininant one as he would be the oldest :)

10. Eroswoof

Eroswoof Guest

:) I hope your new friend helps you all

Em
    xx

11. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

i am so sorry to hear about your cat. i also agree with the above posts, maybe get another kitty in a few weeks, good luck at the rescue centre, let us know what you decide.xxx:)

12. evie71

evie71 PetForums Junior

So sorry for your loss, it is very sad, the same thing happened to me a few years ago although piper was the only cat at the time. Maybe a good idea to go see the kitties at the rescue place as with it being a few weeks it gives you and the other cat time to grieve.

13. Lulus mum

Lulus mum PetForums VIP

Hi
    Sorry that youve lost Lola in such circumstances,at such a young age.

We adopted 2 litter mates from the rescue I worked for ,called them-Rigsby,a tabby and Harpo his ginger brother.
    Sadly Harpo died when he was only 9mths and we were all in bits as they had always been together.
    Not long after I brought home a little ginger boy who was about the same age.He had cat flu,so the intention was for us to foster him.
    He got on so well with Rigsby that hes still here -14 yrs later.
    Its your decision -perhaps give it a week or so and then decide-?
    Good luck and sorry once again for your loss
    from Maureen

14. imogenwright93

thanks everyone :)
    thats a really nice thing that happened maureen, im glad they got on so well :)

we have decided to go look at the rescue centre in a few weeks

15. koekemakranka

koekemakranka PetForums VIP

So sorry for your loss. I am sure you will find the perfect companion for Charlie.

16. clairesparky

clairesparky PetForums Newbie

Hello, so sorry to hear your news.

I would agree with others about getting a new friend for Charlie, Sophie and Elvis were 2 years old when we lost Elvis. We really felt for Sophie and went to CPL and came home with another 2 babies!!!!

After a little hissing and reluctance they are all now the best of friends and the kittens really look after Sophie, washing her all the time and mostly playing. Wouldn't think twice about a new friend and Charlie will thank you for it. The introductions need to be done properly, we followed advice to the letter about introducing new kittens to existing pets and it really works.

I hope you all get over your loss and maybe can give a rescue kitten or cat a lovely new home.

Keep us posted

17. Amin

Amin PetForums VIP

Really sorry to hear this. Brings back sad memories as we lost our kitten to a Car accident. I hope you eventually get a companion for Charlie, and he gets back to his ways. As Buffie says might be best to wait a while and let things settle.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice