Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Hi guys, I'm a newbi looking for some advice.

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Harry'sPeeps, Jan 19, 2008.

1. Harry'sPeeps

Harry'sPeeps PetForums Newbie

Hi there, I'm Bex and I found this site by luck when searching the web for some advice in regards to my new dog. He's a 5yr old long-haired minature Dachshund called Harry who was rehomed because his owner's other dogs were bulling him. We got him direct from the owner yesterday who has had him since a pup, so he hasn't spent time in kennels, but because of the bullying he is very timid. He is very loving and gentle and only wants to curl up on the settee next to me. If I get up and leaves the room he automatically follows me, which is normal I guess under the circumstances. However what is worrying me is that fact that he won't ask to go out despite being normally housetrained, needed me to take him out. I am even more worried though about the fact that I haven't seen him drink anything yet, though he may have had some during the night but certainly not today. Neither has he eaten much. I put a bowl of Eukanuba down for him yesterday evening, but he would,t touch it. I've tried tempting him with doggy treats but he turns his nose up at them. Today I went to the supermarket and bought the proprietry brand of food his owner was giving him but he won't eat that either. I've even poured a little gravy over it to make it more tempting but he's not interested. Last night in order to get him to eat something I gave him a couple of slices of turkey breast which he enjoyed, but I don't want him to expect that as being normal. When I go into the kitchen he follows me with his tail wagging and looking eager and excited as though wanting food, but still refuses the dog food in his bowl.

Can anyone please please help me as I'm getting really worried about him!!

Many Thanks
    Bex

Anele Jessica likes this.
  2. Hi Bex and welcome! You found the right place to get advice. Wait till my brother come back.
    Eating - its quite the same with kittens - when they're going to a new homes - some of them wont eat 1-2 days....
    You just wait till more members who's experienced with dog - will come back on here.

3. Harry'sPeeps

Thanks Elena for the reassurance. This is the first time I've rehomed an adult dog. In the past I've always had puppies who were quick to settle in. I guess I was lucky in that respect and that I'm now on a steep learning curve in regards to caring for Harry.

4. He probably very nervous - dont know what to expect, and needs reassurance too.

5. Harry'sPeeps

I guess he must be, poor little fellow. His whole world has changed over night.

6. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

Hi Welcome to the forum.

You need to take things slowly and not expect too much too quickly.
    With the food aspect I would feed what his previous owners have fed him at least for a while,if you want to change it do it gradually as not to upset his tum.
    Put food down if after 20 mins,he's not eaten it pick it up and give it next meal time,keep repeating this.Dogs will not starve themselves.Don't keep mixing and trying different foods or you may end up with a fussy eater.

You will get there,it's a strange place,lots of different smells & sounds you also need to gain his trust.

7. carol

carol PetForums VIP

hi and welcome
    you not had him long it will take time for him to settle,
    even if he doesnt eat it when you give the food pick it up and dont give him any untill the next feed time, as soon as he finds his hungry enough he will eat.
    i know it sounds harsh but if you start feeding him tip bits like your turkey then he will refuse his own,
    small dogs can be very picky.
    he will get there just give him time and love :)

8. Harry'sPeeps

Thanks for the advice guys. I did have some reservations about the turkey but i guess I was worried and thought anything was better than nothing. I will definitely try picking is bowl up between feeding times. When I spoke to his previous owner yesterday she said that they always left a bowl of food down, and the dogs would help themselves when hungary. I didn't like the idea as it could lead to weight probs, so you've confirmed my own thoughts on that one. If anyone else has advice would be glad to hear it.

9. Harry'sPeeps

Hi T--Jay thanks for the welcome

10. Vixie

Vixie PetForums VIP

hello and welcome to the forum

i would say come and join in at general chat but we have already spoken there so I will say please come back to general chat daily and join in :) hee hee

I agree with the above advice he will come around in time, good luck with him:)

11. staceyscats1

staceyscats1 PetForums Senior

hey and welcome

and good luck with your dog he will come round soon enough :)

12. englishrose943

englishrose943 PetForums VIP

Hi Harry'speeps
    First of all dont be giving him cooked meat to tempt him to eat.Just leave a bowl of the food he is use to down and he will eat when he is hungry. He is just getting his feet under the table so dont go spoiling him as thats what he will b expecting all the time.Good luck:D

13. carol

carol PetForums VIP

hi and welcome
    i wouldnt worry when his settled in he be fine dont give him tip bits to try and get him eating he will eat when his hungry enough.
    just put the food down if he dont eat it pick it up until the next feed time.

14. Debbie

Debbie PetForums VIP

Hello and welcome to the forum - just follow the advice already given and he will settle in soon enough :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice