Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Hi- general advice needed

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Horse and Hound, May 12, 2010.

1. Horse and Hound

Horse and Hound PetForums VIP

Hi Guys!

I'm new to the forum after recently getting a westie x jack russell puppy last week.

He's now 8/9 weeks old and is named Rupert. We have no major problems, although he does scream the house down when we leave him during the day.

I usually get up at 06:15 with my pup, take him outside, have a play, feed him, then back outside before leaving him in the kitchen whilst I get ready for work. During this time he screams and screams! I ignore the screaming as I've been told to and go about my usual business and head off to work at about 07:30/07:45.

My boyfriend gets up at about 08:30, and says Rupert never shuts up between me going out. He's then let out again, played with before my boyfriend then locks him up in the kitchen at 11:00 am with all his toys, bed (which is an adapted crate he claimed when he came to the house) and he still screams.

The lass next door comes in at about half 3 every night to play with him for an hour until I'm home from work, so he's on his own for about 4 and a half hours. The vet said the behaviour is perfectly normal but I can't stand the thought of him screaming for the full time I'm gone. I don't greet him when I come in, I'm pretty indifferent until he's sat still on the floor then he gets his cuddles and I've told the girl next door to to the same too.

I've ordered a DAP diffuser and collar to see if this eases it but has anyone else got any tips or is it a case of just riding it out?

2. RachyBobs

RachyBobs PetForums VIP

In my own oppinion I think hes just crying for attention, just the same as a normal child would do. Hes testing you to see if he can get the attention he wants via a loud scream. My dog is 8 months old now and she does this but not a scream its more like a very high pitch whine until she gets attention, I stopped giving the attention as a reward for the whining and she doesnt do it anymore. Good Luck

3. Horse and Hound

I thought so.

He goes for his first set of jabs this evening so I'm just hoping that once he's had his second and we've waited the 2 weeks that the walks before we go to work will help calm him down.

My boyfriend called me this morning to say he was barking for half an hour then went quiet for a good half an hour before he went down to let him out of the kitchen, so that's a break through. He's got a D.A.P collar and diffuser in the kitchen now so I'm wondering if that's actually helping.

I might ask the vet later, but as its my first pup I suppose its all new to me and I'm probably over reacting!

4. Polimba

Polimba PetForums VIP

My puppy has always been good at being left, I think that was just luck. However I would say that things got so much easier once we could walk him. I used to find he'd bark and bark when I was trying to get ready for work and I'm sure I often went to work with unbrushed hair or teeth :eek:

Once we could walk him in the mornings he seemed to settle well and get into the routine of walk, chill out, breakfast then chill while I got ready for work and then crate time to sleep.

Hang in there it will get better.

5. Jrtz_rock

Jrtz_rock PetForums Junior

I had 2 completely different experiences with my girls as puppies!! Jade was laid back chilled out and only wimpered a little at night...Untill we left a lamp on for her LOL! She house trained within weeks and wasnt a pick of bother

Holly was a NIGHTMARE!!

for 10 months nothing we did was right...she went to puppy classes, scoured the internet and books for advice saw a behaviourist and a vet to rule out everything....plain simple pain in the ass!! Thats all! She screamed the house down everytime we left the room and had us demented!! Then my mate suggested a stuffable kong and treat ball (One thing she LOVES is her food!!) So we tried that and it was magic!! Even got to a point she would look up when we came in and after a quick stoke back to the kong or ball she went!!! she doesnt have it now but then again shes alomst 5!! It was all speration issues! Even now she is sat under my feet and likes to sit near us while watching tv etc but she now knows when we go out we come back so she behaves her little butt!! Perseverance is all i recomend! Good job we love 'em!!

6. Horse and Hound

I tried a Kong. It works for about 3 minutes but after that he's not interested and I come home and its not touched, treats still inside it!

My boyfriend, however did report progress yesterday. He said he shut up after about half an hour when I had gone and didn't utter a peep when he left so here's hoping the horror will grow out of it!

Anyway, here's a pic of the trouble maker when he's finally quiet!

[​IMG]

7. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Aww he is so cute - butter wouldnt melt :lol:

I brought my little westie x jack russell home a year ago this sunday.
    Here she is at 9 wks old

Heidi day one_028.jpg

heidi 9 weeks 3 days 010 (Medium).jpg

heidi  LG phone 003.jpg

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice