Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Hi from me and Tillie

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Tillielamp, Mar 19, 2014.

1. Tillielamp

Tillielamp PetForums Newbie

I would like to say hi to everyone and introduce myself and my 17 week old GSD Tillie. She really is very good on the whole, but one issue I do have is that she will eat her own poo if left unsupervised. Most of the time she is stopped and will leave it when told, but there are odd occasions when we don't see her on time. Can anyone tell me why some dogs do this.

2. Knightofalbion

Knightofalbion PetForums VIP

A very warm welcome to the forum.

3. Knightofalbion

Knightofalbion PetForums VIP

Why do dogs delight in eating and rolling in poo?

I've no idea, though I'm guessing it might be for a nutritional value. We may not like talking about it but excrement is the most marvellous fertiliser and nutrient rich...

And rolling in it is probably a 'primeval' throwback i'e. covering yourself in another's scent and thereby disguising your own scent enabled you to approach your prey without alerting them by the sense of smell.

Strongly voicing disapproval may get through eventually. I did hear someone on Cesar's Way website suggesting putting something bitter or spicy on one to 'associate' an unpleasant taste and stop it that way...
    Try the 'Dog' section, someone might have some tips.

4. Weasellady

Weasellady PetForums Member

I have to quickly bag up the ferrets tray paper after they have had their playtime or Evie will eat the poo off it when she comes back into the living room.
    We found a little hole in the newspaper the other night where she had licked it to get the last bit off.|
    I usually remember to take it out but there is the odd occasion that I forget until she is back in the room.
    I am more worried that the newspaper would harm her more than the poo.

5. nicl03

nicl03 PetForums Newbie

Hi my other dog used to do this it used to make me feel sick the vet told us to put tomato ketchup or sauce out of tinned tomatoes on his food they don't like the smell so won't eat it as it smells of it hope it works.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice