Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Hi from Los Angeles

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Lou Castle, Apr 18, 2011.

1. Lou Castle

Lou Castle Banned

Hi Everyone. I'm Lou Castle and I live in Los Angeles. I'm a retired police officer who was a K-9 handler for my department and then the in-house trainer. I now do dog training seminars and have a few private clients. Mostly I work with police service dogs and SAR K−9's but I also work with pets. I've been in dog training since 1979.

My favorite tool is the Ecollar. I know that will make me unpopular with many but I've never been interested in how many people like me or don't like me. I use whatever tool/method is appropriate for the dog I'm working with and what I'm teaching.

2. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

Welcome to the forum :)

3. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

Then why mention it? My favourite tools for training dogs are treats, toys, rewards and praise. Never found anything that works better.

4. Rottiefan

Rottiefan PetForums VIP

I was at Dr Ian Dunbar's seminar yesterday and he was saying how he went to speak at a 6 day training and behaviour conference in America where nearly all the people there used e-collars and metal collars. Yet, despite Ian mixing with these folks and seeing how they work, he still says there is no use whatsoever.

One thing I find true is that there is less arguing between trainers who use aversives. Let's see if you can keep up with the tradition. Welcome to the forum. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice