UK Pet Forums Forum banner

Hi folks please help - bit of a story!

670 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Blitz 
#1 · (Edited)
So we bought a female JRT puppy.

The guy we got it from clearly has no idea how to breed dogs nor take care of them. She was advertised on gumtree along with two boys as already having had her flea and worm treatment. As soon as I called him he said that he had picked a couple fleas off of her that morning but that she was free from them now. So despite this we went and saw her and she was riddled with fleas! So much so she had scabs from biting and itching herself. Also in the house were a canine grandmother, her daughter and one male. A litter of three 10 week olds (which our Pixie was taken from) and a litter of 4 week olds. I assume they all have just as many fleas given they weren’t sectioned off from one another and all just running around. So we handed over the money and took her as we couldn’t bear to leave her there in squalid and uncomfortable conditions to become a breeding machine. This was on a Sunday afternoon so no vets were open and pet stores werent much help as she was young and they didn’t want to weight her on the scales.

(I should point out here that we were looking for a female pup to accompany out neutered 18month old male JRT/Daschund mix and werent allowed to rescue due to our children’s ages hence, why we went to buy a pup otherwise we would’ve rescued).

Anyway we got her home and set to individually picking the fleas off of her to try relieve some of her itching until we could get a Vet’s appointment for her to have both her flea and worm treatment. Her poos were kindve solid though very smelly, not dry biscuit type poos. So the Tuesday came and we got her into the Vet’s. The vet said she was so riddled with fleas, flea dirt and eggs that it would be best to give her flea and worm treatment first and not her first set of injections as this may overload her system. The fleas have since all fallen off of her with help from us picking some out which s good and shes not as itchy, however, that same night she had the treatment she did a poo and in it was a reasonably sized roundworm in it. This worried me. So I called the vets and they said its good because it is working. She’s since done a couple of poos with a worm in though not as big. They are motionless so I assume theyre dead. Vets also advised that given how soon she passed them we should get her de-wormed every month until they’ve completely gone and then every 3 months. My concern is that its now Wednesday evening and her poos are becoming much more runny. Almost a puddle of thick brown past, with the odd solid-ish kindve lump. Has this happened to anyone else? Is it just a side effect of the treatments? Is it because she was in such squaller? Is it a change in her food? Should I call the vets again or is this all completely normal?

We only feed her dry biscuits and water. They are ‘Wellness, Grain-free protein rich nutrition for puppies’. Puppy-sized triangular dry biscuits.

Our other dog isn’t suffering from such symptoms and have has a cheeky nibble on her food and is up to date with all his injections.

And I’d like to confirm I HAVE called the RSPCA regarding this breeder and have told them everything from the fleas to worms and diarrhoea. They have the address and name and everything so I hope they pay him a visit!

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
She does need worming every month until she's six months old.

I used to breed and I always wormed my pups at 3, 5 and 7 weeks old. I never saw any worms, as the Mum of the pups was wormed during her pregnancy.

Sadly, whoever you bought this pup from is clearly a Backyard Breeder and the likelihood is that your pup has never been wormed until you brought her home, so has a worm burden which will take some getting rid of.

Your Vet appears to be very 'on the ball' and knows what is best for your pup.

Her diarrhoea could well be from her change of home and some stress. Keep her on the food you have chosen, four meals a day, and make sure she's drinking.

If the problem doesn't clear up within a few days, I would feed her small amounts of chicken or fish.

Reactions: Lurcherlad
#5 ·
Lucky pup to get a good caring home. I would suggest that you also contact your local council as the breeder should be licensed and maybe report him for selling unwell puppies and advertising them wrongly as they obviously were not flead and wormed. Monthly worming up to 6 months is quite normal even with a pup that apparently does not have a worm burden.

As far as having runny poos, that is fairly normal even with a healthy pup with stress and change of food. Good breeders give food with the pup so that they can be changed over slowly to the food the new owner chooses.

Good luck with the pup and I hope no more problems rear their head.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.