Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Hi Everyone

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Fairy Queen, Jul 7, 2009.

1. Fairy Queen

Fairy Queen Guest

Hi Everyone

Just wanted to say hello and introduce myself. My names Mel but I prefer to be called Fairy. Im 23, ive just recently been told im might never have children which im really gutted about. Ive always been a cat lover, and as ive been told i suffer from Polycystic ovaries. Which doesnt necessarily mean I will NOT have children, just my chances are very slim due to the fact ive already lost one ovary. Im devastated to be honest, so Ive been thinking maybe I should get a cat. I love cats so much but Im unsure whether its a good idea as it may make me want something I cant have. Just wanted to introduce myself and hear some other opinion.

Thanks xXxXxXxXx

2. hayleyb

hayleyb PetForums VIP

hello and welcome :)

1st of all id like to say im very sorry bout your news, but theres always that slim chance so dnt totally rite it off.

i think gettin a cat wud be a great idea. im 21 and have had sheldon since december. he is my baby and i give him no option about it lol. my oh thinks im a nutter likewise do my mam and nanna.

if you get a cat it will never replace havin a child but it will give you so much satisfaction. i honestly say i cud never love anythin the way i love my kitty. yes i am a crazy cat lady but i wudnt part with him for the world.

3. Fairy Queen

Fairy Queen Guest

Hi thanks for the reply, was beginning to think id got it wrong! Do you think male cats or female cats are the best to get? Or do you think i should throw my inhabitions to the wind and get both?

Thanks for the sympathy but i am trying to be strong, we were activly trying for a baby too, we havent written it off completly but we have had to put it to one side and take the attitude of "if it happens, it happens" Even though its not always as easy as that.

Im so glad you have such love for Sheldon.. i dont think your crazy cat woman!!!

4. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Hiya welcome to the forum :) Don't write off kids because my friend suffers with the same condition and her son turned one in March :) She's now trying for her second :D

5. hayleyb

hayleyb PetForums VIP

hehe thanx for not thinkin im crazy lol.

i suppose its easier said than done but have faith and if it happens youll no its extra special.

ive never had a cat before sheldon but i wud go for a male, we nearly had another kitten few weeks back for a few days but she was evil. kept hissin at sheldon and he was terrified.

i wud say go for 2 tho. i wish i had means you get a full nites sleep instead of bein waken up at 4 by a bored kitty lol. im gettin all excited for ya ha ha

6. munchbunch

munchbunch PetForums VIP

Hi Fairy. Great you're being positive & you never know what might happen in the future - things happen when you least expect it - keep my fingers crossed for you.

Definately go for a cat/s! I've never regretted getting mine & I'm up to five now, lol. They make you laugh, are good company & give you great cuddles if you're lucky!!

If you can manage it, I'd go for two, especially if you're out at work all day - company for each other. I tended to go for females 'cos I thought males always smelt "Tom" if you know what I mean, but I hadn't realsied that once they're neutered, their pee doesn't smell. I've found (but others will differ) that males are more affectionate & females more independent. You could always get one of each (but make sure you get them neutered, lol!!)

Go for it - you won't regret it & they'll cheer you up no end x

7. Fairy Queen

Fairy Queen Guest

I just spoke to my OH and he thinks its a good idea, ive always like BSH. I guess its something to think about! Your getting all excited..me too! 5 mins talking to you and im already up for adopting arista cat clan!!!! I think it is a good route for me and my OH. I would like two! Arrgggh im all excited i might start looking for kitties in my area in a min!!

8. Fairy Queen

Fairy Queen Guest

Thank you ever so much for the reply. Five!! How do you manage? Just out of interest how much does it cost to provide for a cat on a monthly basis? Seems like a strange question but im just curious as would like to make sure if i got one/two they wouldnt go without!

9. Fairy Queen

Fairy Queen Guest

Really :eek:hmy: Just out of interest is this rare or can this happen all the time? Im on Clomid to help with the conception. Im just devastated and will try anything!

10. munchbunch

munchbunch PetForums VIP

Hehe!! I wasn't meant to get to five, it just sort of happened :blushing: !!

To be honest, I've never really thought about how much they cost me on a monthly basis. The biggest cost is their insurance, which I'd really recommend you get as soon as you get them for peace of mind (note as soon as you get them, not if, lol!!). Be careful with the cheap looking policies though if you can afford it - they usually only cover you for each condition for a certain monetry limit or 12 months, whereas "lifetime" policies reset every year & keep paying out if you're unlucky enough to need it.

I obviously use more litter & food, but clumping litters are easy to use & economical as you just "scoop the poop" & top it up when you need to. My cats prefer dry food & I buy the big breeders bags 'cos it's so much cheaper than small ones - that lasts for ages.

If you're going for a BSH or any other pedigree, make sure you really research the breed & go to a reputable breeder, or go to your local Cats Protection or charity & get a couple of moggies. I've got three rescues (I'm a sucker for a hard luck story!) & two Ragdolls. I love them all to bits & they're all very different. Once you've got two or three, another one doesn't seem to make a difference somehow.

I spend more money on buying them stuff which I'm obsessed with, but they'd rather have the empty cardboard box most of the time, lol!! One investment I'd definately make is a cat climber/scratching post - mine love them & it saves your furniture. Best place to get them is a cat show. Go on the GCCF website & see if there's any near you coming up. You'll be able to see all the different breeds, meet some breeders (but you can't buy at shows) & see all the great things you can buy.

Basically, you can spend as much or as little as you like as long as you have the right basics - food & litter.

I'm excited for you!! :)

#10 munchbunch, Jul 7, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2009
  11. munchbunch

munchbunch PetForums VIP

Isn't this what Victoria Beckham has?? She's got 3 sons now, so it can definately happen :)

12. hayleyb

hayleyb PetForums VIP

i cud maybe give you a little estimate for monthly costs. i dnt buy the best food for sheldon coz he wnt eat it. i ended up spendin £40 on really good food and ended up givin it to the local pdsa and friends. so i buy felix as good as it looks which is around £6 for 24 pouches 48 normally last me a month and i use james welbeloved with is £12.99 for a month. i give him this at nite so he has somethin to nibble on.

i get my litter from aldi which is £1.79 normally can last me 2 weeks.

where you spend your money is on toys he he. i cud buy all of pets at home everytime i go in.

i would say they cost no more than £50 a month maybe a little more in the beginnin coz you need to get everythin for them.

13. hayleyb

hayleyb PetForums VIP

jst on the baby subkec too. my friend has this and shed given up after ivf and things. she then had another medical condition which caused her some problems. this resulted in her losing a baby.

but reason im sayin is coz she didnt no she was pregnant and shed carried further than she had b4. there is always a glimour of hope :)

14. Fairy Queen

Fairy Queen Guest

Im so excited now! You see the thing is..is once i get obsessed i will spend more and more money on them!! I definatly love the BSH as my mum had one and he was adorable!! I love their cute round faces and double chins!!! Ohh now im thinking of names!!! I looked on Zoo plus and saw some amazing Cat trees...about 5 mins ago lol look im already at it! My OH is laughing to himself, he thinks our life is just about to get catfantastic!

15. hayleyb

hayleyb PetForums VIP

he will love it. my oh is more of a dog person but he goes in a rite huff if sheldon wnt give him a hug lol.

even my mam likes him

16. Ammy

Ammy PetForums Member

Ohh wow!!! I'm not crazy after all....

Me and my lovely husband have been trying to conceive for 2.5years :( and are about to embark on fertility treatment. I have a daughter from a previous relationship but me and my husband would love a child of our own.

We have just aquired 2 cats and it feels like they have lifted a huge weight off my shoulders. It feels lovely to be needed and to take care of them (not that my daughter doesn't need that but at 6 she is fast resenting being taken care of!!!). I thought I was weird feeling like this but I love to mother my cats, especially my little kitten Meg and she loves it in return!!!

I dont for a minute think that my cats replace a child but in my husbands words 'they are the next best things to our babies' :D And one day when we have kids our own, us, my daughter, our baby and our cats will be a very happy family. :)

And besides, if the treatment doesnt work- we are getting another kitten!!!!

:D

17. Fairy Queen

Fairy Queen Guest

Wow victoria beckham has it, i just read it on the net..ohh i didnt realise it is so common! Oh thanks you guys! Im EXCITED!!!! Just checking pets at home, and i TOTALLY get what you mean by buying everything!!! I just did an estomate and my basket came to £106.78!!!!!!

18. Fairy Queen

Fairy Queen Guest

Oh wow thanks for the reply!!! Did it really make you feel better? I obviously know it wont take away the hurt, but im just looking for something that will make it hurt less if you understand what i mean. Thank you ever so much for sharing this story with me. I know it can be hard, im quite an open person..no doubt your see me whinging on here when my OH annoys me!!!!!!

I pray for happy endings for you and me!!!

19. Holibell

Holibell PetForums Newbie

Hi and welcome...what an introduction......So sorry about your news. I have to say I have had both children and cats....I love my children very much but cats are a wonderful edition and I doubt once you have one cat and it wont be long before you have another.

I dont know if your interested but I have just put a post in classified section looking for a special home for a 3yr old siamese.

20. Fairy Queen

Fairy Queen Guest

Thank you very much! I hope to hear from everyone loads more!!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice