Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Hi everyone... I'm New!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Jade D, Jul 6, 2017.

1. Jade D

Jade D PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone...
    My names Jade and I'm new to this forum.

What it is, is that myself and my partner are getting a pup... a Sprocker spaniel, and we are so excited!

He is not ready to leave until 6th August, which gives us plenty of time to prepare and get everything in to give him the perfect home and a happy life.

I have done so much research online and have read up on so much stuff... but came across this and thought I would make an account as it will be nice to have advice off people with there own etc :)

I am open to any advice...
    I know they are needing a lot of exercise which he is sure to get as i work days and my partner works nights so there will be someone with him nearly all of the time.
    I know they are very intelligent and loving dogs which is exactly what we need as we are after a family home dog.

Im needing advice on training techniques? If cages are a yes or no? And what is the best diet to give your Sprocker.

Thank you, Jade :)

2. Team_Trouble

Team_Trouble PetForums VIP

Hello and welcome :) that's oliver my Chinese crested in my pic. Do you have a name for your sprocker Yet? Getting a puppy is so exciting but can be a bit overwhelming once they're actually here! I hope everything goes smoothly with yours

lullabydream likes this.
  3. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Welcome to the forum. I bet you are so excited about your new addition...we all love puppy pictures...

One small tip..

Err on the side of caution with the use of exercise, sprockers are amazing little dogs who love a good run but they need to keep their minds busy more than anything...so you need to think about mental stimulation more than exercise per se. It's not that you won't be able to do both at the same time, doing things like scent games etc...but mental stimulation is just as important for all dogs, and especially busy ones like yours will be.

Jade D likes this.
  4. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

Welcome to the forum - exciting time for you both. Make the most of peace and quiet and lie-ins whilst you still can! Remember not to over-exercise your pup - a good rule of thumb is around 5 minutes per month of age per day for walks (if on-lead, off-lead you can be a little more relaxed but don't overdo it).

A lot of people recommend the book "The Perfect Puppy" by Gwen Bailey - might be a good place to start :)

Calvine, Jade D and lullabydream like this.
  5. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Brilliant book recommendation...and the rest too!

Sairy and Jade D like this.
  6. Jade D

Jade D PetForums Newbie

Thank you for the reply :)
    I can't decide on a name just yet! I like Milo, Hugo or Theo ... He's chocolate brown! So cute.

Yeah I had a family dog when I was growing up who sadly passed away quite a few year ago. After that my mam and dad would not get another one.

I live with my partner and have not long moved into a bigger place, just got it sorted so we are definitely ready and excited to add a member to the family! :)

Team_Trouble and lullabydream like this.
  7. Jade D

Jade D PetForums Newbie

Hi there, thank you for your reply! Thank you for the advice and ill definitely look into that book:)

Sairy and lullabydream like this.
  8. jamat

jamat PetForums VIP

And after a week or two without sleep teeth marks in you fingers and wet patches on you carpet.... You will probably be entering the puppy blues stage of "WHAT THE HELL HAVE I DONE WHAT WAS I THINKING OF" it happens to the majority of new dog owners.... Don't panic it will pass..... Routine is important in the puppies life get that right and things will be a little easier...

At that stage my wife broke down and asked if we could rehome Alfie.... I found this forum and the advice given here set us both on the right track... 3 years later our muppet is part of the family.... Even if he's a bit of a sod now and then... And my wife loves him to bits

Good luck and have fun :)

Sairy and Calvine like this.
  9. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

If you plan to crate train him,
    remember he has just been taken away from his mum and littermates so he will feel isolated - don't put him in and let him feel alone / separated from you. Don't rush the crate, make it a fun place. Don't close the door until he is happy in there. Put a t shirt you have worn in the crate with his toys and bed. Only ever use the crate for good things, never punishment. If he cries you are going too fast.
    At night, it's a good idea to have his crate in your room to start with so he knows you are close by. You can put a hand down to stroke and comfort him if he gets distressed. Please don't ignore him, you wouldn't ignore a crying child and leave him in an empty room. Comforting him when he is distressed is fine and will strengthen your bond. Unfortunately many people make the mistake of allowing a puppy to cry in the hope that they grow out of it, when actually all they have done is cement in the puppies mind that being left in the crate (or alone, or whatever is causing the crying) is indeed a terrible thing, and for many dogs this fear becomes a learned habit.

Gradually you can start moving the crate away to outside the bedroom door, near the room you want him to sleep in, and eventually into that room. With puppies learning, everything is done in little steps, and if anything starts to fail, you go back a step and stay there longer.

Also in your room you are more likely to hear him if he moves and needs out to toilet. With young puppies it's too long to expect them to hold on all night (their little bladder and bowels aren't big enough or strong enough) so set your alarm for a couple of times in the night.

During the day though you should start to get him used to being alone for short periods so when he isn't interacting with you (to make your leaving less of a contrast) just walk out the room then back in - build up the time gradually.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice