Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

hi can someone plz help how do i clean a cats ears

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by snowfrill, Oct 21, 2012.

1. snowfrill

snowfrill PetForums Member

i have Polo which im keeping she is a white cat n her ears r black when i got her her, her ears were black n the vet put a cleaning solution into her ears n therefore cleaned them but they r now black again, its not the part where u can just use a piece of cotton wool n warm water its further down where u cant put a piece of cotton wool so any advice on how i can clean them without having to take her to the vets everytime she has black ears im happy to take her to the vets but if i can use something that i would have at home it would therefore be less cost if poss:) she does not have ear mites ive had her now for 14wks the vet checked her for earmites when i took her down to them the day after i got her n he said she just had very dirty ears so cleaned them i give her advocate every 4wks n also she doesnt scratch her ears it is just plain dirt

#1 snowfrill, Oct 21, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2012
  2. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

Sounds to me like she has a bad case of ear mites!! :eek:

Did the vet not give you a spot-on treatment for her which you put on the back of her neck to get rid of fleas and ear mites??!? :confused:

3. broccoli

broccoli PetForums VIP

i use advocate - a flea spot- on treatment from the vets which does ear mites & worms too

personally i wouldnt do anything with far down the ears without taking her to vets - if its not mites, ask what the solution is and where you can get it :)

4. snowfrill

its not ear mites this was checked when i first got her

5. snowfrill

its not that far down her ears but u couldnt clean them with cotton wool but the dirt would come out i believe if i syringed some warm water into them but not sure if this would be safe. she doesnt have ear mites i use advocate on her every 4wks n when i first got her had her checked for ear mites

6. Kittenfostermummy

Kittenfostermummy PetForums VIP

Don't syringe water into her ears this will more than likely lead to a nasty infection. Pop her back to the vets for another consult and ask them to show you how to clean her ears professionally and ask to buy their cleanaural cat solution. BUT like I said take her to the vets and ask to be shown how to use it as there is a knack to it!!!

7. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Good advice,Unless you know what you are dealing with, ears and eyes are delicate and dont take kindly to "fiddling" with ;)

8. rcmadd

rcmadd PetForums VIP

can you not use baby wipes and using just 1 finger wipe around the inside..

9. VixB

VixB PetForums Junior

My boy gets grubby ears too. I wash them with warm salted water and cotton wool every couple of weeks or so...

10. sharonbee

sharonbee PetForums VIP

I certainly wouldn't syringe them, too dangerous. if they are just dirty you can just wipe them with either pre boiled and cooled water or sometimes I put a little baby oil on a cottonwool ball and wipe my cats ears, the baby oil gets the dirt off very easily but do only wipe where you can, it would be dangerous to prod too far. Another trip to the vet may be worth doing.

11. groundhogdaze

groundhogdaze PetForums Member

Ears & eyes are too easily damaged and a definite no-go area if you don't know what you're doing or exactly what the problem is. My vet gave me a ear cleaning solution when ours had an ear infection and it was great for cleaning the ears.
    Get your cat to the vet and they will show you exactly what to do. £15 for the right stuff is a lot cheaper than an operation to fix damaged ears through doing the wrong thing.

Black ears may not always mean ear mites but best get it checked.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice