Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Hi am new,, need advice about problem with the breeder please

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by ltawn, Sep 25, 2013.

1. ltawn

ltawn PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone.
    I am completely new to the forum so please bear with me.

I bought a gorgeous English Springer Spaniel puppy 3 weeks ago, from a KC registered breeder and followed and checked everything.

Sadly last week my puppy was diagnosed with hydracephalous (water on the brain) and blindness, unfortunately the swelling was so bad that he died 4 days after being diagnosed at 13 weeks old.

I contacted the breeder for the policy number of the 4 weeks free insurance that he advertised the puppy with and verbally told me was in place, only to be told he had not activated the insurance. So we were not insured !!!as my own personal insurance did not start until the end of the 4 weeks free period.

We have been told that the condition was congenitial and he was born with one blind eye, so really the breeder should notify owners of the other puppies ??.

The breeder is not interested in paying our vet bills of £800, and has said that we should just have had him put to sleep. |I desperately need advice it was his responsibility and surely we cannot be held liable for all these costs just because he forgot to activate the insurance ??? !!

Any advice or where I can go to for help would be really appreciated

2. Knightofalbion

Knightofalbion PetForums VIP

A very warm welcome to the forum.

So sorry to hear about your puppy.... You're right, it shouldn't have happened. And the insurance should have been in place.

I'm not qualified or experienced in such a situation to give any advice of a legal nature, though I'm sure you must have a case. Try reposting in the 'Dog' section, in the 'Dog Chat' sub-section. Best of luck.

3. kodakkuki

kodakkuki PetForums VIP

so sorry you had to witness that, and for what it's worth (which i know if very little) my heart goes out to you and your family.
    i'm afraid in this case you may be wise to take the case to a solicitor as a false advertising. do you have a record of him telling you the pup was insured? imo thats a make or break piece of evidence.

I'm NOT a lawyer, i have No law background, so please do look in to it further.

but again, sorry for your loss. Xx

4. Firedog

Firedog PetForums VIP

Sorry for your loss. x

Have you reported this to the Kennel Club?

5. My2CatsAreMyLife

My2CatsAreMyLife PetForums Newbie

so sorry for the terrible experience. I would hope the KC would be able to advise you on how to proceed with this. hope you get some help and closure.

xx

6. we love bsh's

we love bsh's PetForums VIP

I have heard of breeders being sued for breeding pups with hereditary conditions so maybe look into that.

Very lazy of the breeder not to activate the insurance in literally takes seconds.

imo he should be paying that bill plus giving you back the money for the pup.

7. chichi

chichi Banned

I am not entirely sure that the free insurance would pay out in any case, as the condition was...from what you say...congenital and the blindness had already occurred prior to leaving the breeder...which could be classed as pre-existing.

If I were you I would write to the breeder. Tell him what you expect ... ie refund of puppy cost plus vet fees...etc. and tell him that after 7 days...if you have not received satisfactory reimbursement, you will refer the matter to the Kennel Club and seek legal advice with a view to instigating legal proceedings...if indeed that is the course you decide to go.

Regardless of whether he pays up...I would inform the KC of your pups diagnosis, so that they can inform the owners of other pups in the litter...should they think it right to do so.

So sorry to hear about the poor pup.

Rest in peace puppy x

8. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

Really sorry to hear the news about your puppy, you must be heart-broken. A couple of people have suggested getting advice from the Kennel Club and I think that is your best way forward. It will not bring your puppy back but it may stop it happening to someone else. So sorry for you, what a sad story.

9. jaycee05

jaycee05 PetForums VIP

Hi, i am very sorry to hear this about your poor puppy, only this week i have been talking to a lady who also bought a puppy a few weeks ago, it too was a spaniel, but i think crossed with another breed, her puppy is in the vet hospital with Parvo, i advised her to talk to consumer protection, and inform the kennel club, CP give advice similiar to what has been said already,give him 7 days to respond[or maybe 14 days to begin with] and then a further 7 days or you will take it further,
    Can you say where you bought the puppy from, [not the breeder,]but the area,
    This lady has been trying to find others who bought puppies off this breeder,

10. chichi

chichi Banned

I am not sure the KC would/could get involved where the above (in bold) is concerned, as the pup is a crossbreed, so therefore won't be registered with the Kennel Club.

Very sad that the poor puppy has Parvo ... hope the pup pulls through!

11. jaycee05

jaycee05 PetForums VIP

The breeder has other pups though, some kind of terrier, sounds a bit like a puppy farm from what this lady told me, with 24 hours the pup was very ill, and is still having treatment,when the breeder was contacted, he just said Parvo is airborne and he could have got it since leaving here, [all the pups were kept in outside kennels, so even though this was a Crossbreed, he does breed purebred apparently, but has since taken his ad off the website
    Does the kennel club only deal with purebreds? don't know anything about dogs really
    I will check what her dog is, just checked he is a sprocker

#11 jaycee05, Sep 25, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  12. SirHiss

SirHiss Guest

Unfortunately in cases like this, yes.

13. chichi

chichi Banned

I believe there is some sort of Activity Register but I am afraid I know nothing about that and how that works.

As far as registering a litter, yes, the pups would have to be from KC registered parents.

Even in the case of a KC registered puppy that became ill with a congenital condition such as in the OP, I am not sure the KC would really get involved but I would feel it only right to inform the KC and then the ball is in their court to inform other owners of pups in the litter (though of course the breeder should do this).

If the Breeder is on the Assured Breeder Scheme, then the KC would likely be obliged to get involved, as such title is *supposed* to stand for something.

My mind boggles at breeders who deny all responsibility for a sick puppy that has only just left them. If it were one of my pups, I'd want the puppy returned immediately, so that I could deal with the puppy personally and either supply the owner of sick pup with an alternative pup or their money back (would be their choice).

14. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

Parvo is not airborne, it needs direct contact with another dog, faeces or fomites (objects which may have the virus on them, such as dirty human hands or shoes, equipment, premises etc).

15. jaycee05

jaycee05 PetForums VIP

This lady asked the breeder if he would sort out the vaccination as she was going on holiday and was due to collect the pup a week later when she got back, the pup wasn't vaccinated, and my guess is because he wasn't well so coulodnt be taken to a vet to be vaccinated, as obviously the vet would refuse and know the pup was ill,
    The puppy has lost half his bodyweight and had diarrhea and vomiting, which is why the test was done and came back as parvo

16. chichi

chichi Banned

Oh, the poor little pup. He must feel so weak and ill :(

If what you are saying is the case, that the breeder maybe didn't vaccinate because the puppy was poorly, then that is just so awful.

17. jaycee05

jaycee05 PetForums VIP

Well the excuse he gave was that he had been too busy and hadn't had the time, so surely the puppys littermates would also be ill, and this lady is hoping she can contact other buyers and has put an ad out
    With the new poster saying her pup was a Spaniel, it caught my attention, because its roughly the same timescale as when the other puppy left the breeder, I wondred if it was the same breeder, but the op hasn't been back on here yet

18. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

How soon after purchase did the puppy become ill? And how old was it at time of sale?

Most viruses (Parvo included) have a 3-12 day incubation period, so if the puppy fell ill during this timescale it was almost certainly infected at time of sale.

Age at sale time is also important. It's possible to give a parvo jab to puppies under 8 weeks (then the usual jabs later on) but that early jab is only usually given by puppy farmers, or those who have some reason to want, that earlier protection (say, previous issues with parvo, or parvo on the premises).

#18 MerlinsMum, Sep 25, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  19. rainy

rainy PetForums Newbie

Oh my gosh. How awful I am so sorry for your loss.

20. jaycee05

jaycee05 PetForums VIP

The puppy with Parvo was very ill and at the vets within 24 hrs of being collected, the vet told the lady the incubation period was about 5 days
    Not sure how old it was, she might have told me, but I have forgotten, the litter of terriers he has he said he wasn't selling[10] he said they were going to a farmer, I doubt it,he has taken his ad off apparently,i think it was on pets4homes

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice