Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Hi all - looking advice on cat behaviour

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by OddJob07, Apr 19, 2019.

1. OddJob07

OddJob07 PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone, thank you in advanced for your responses.

We have two cats, two brothers in fact, of about 2 years of age. Just recently (2/3 months or so), one of our cats changed it's daily habit of going outside during the night to going out during the day. We think he may have gotten into a fight or been spooked by something, as he is often keeping a close eye on the cat flap. Since this has happened, he has been spending nights inside the house.

The problem: every night, around 4am, he comes into the bedroom and actively tries to wake myself or my partner up by tapping us on the face - and he's persistent! My partner is very good at turning over and ignoring him, but once he's woken me, I get wound up and can't go back to sleep. I made a mistake of feeding him the first couple times, so in a way reinforced the bad behaviour - something I would like to try and undo now! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Our house has no internal doors except the one to our bedroom - it's a catch 22 as we would have liked to put a door to section off the kitchen where they are fed, however, the house is currently on the market so this is a no go... On the same note, we can no longer keep the bedroom door closed; as if he can't come inside, he howls and begins clawing up the carpet by the door (not good for selling the house!). I have thought about putting him outside overnight after feeding and letting back in when it's morning now that the weather has began perking up - but I feel bad for our other cat who is very well behaved.
    Thank you.

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hello @oddjob and welcome. :)

The first thing is to work out why your is cat waking you at 4 am. Then you will be able to address the issue.

e.g. is he hungry ?

or does he want to go out for the toilet and is afraid to?

or is he worried about a strange cat hanging around outside ?

If he is hungry then you can leave him a meal of wet food in an autofeeder timed to open around 3.30 am.

If he wants the toilet, I assume you have provided the cats with a minimum of a couple of indoor litter trays? If he won't use them, then you may need to make them more attractive to him, e.g. change the type of litter used and make them open trays.

I assume you have a microchipped cat flap so no strange cats can get in your house? If so, then lock it at night and place something in front of e.g. a tea tray so that your cat can;t see through the flap. So if there is a strange cat outside he won't see him.

If he is waking you because he is lonely and wanting attention then you'd need to increase the playtime he has before bedtime, so he uses up more energy. He is only 2 so he will have lots of energy for play.

Cats are crepuscular by nature, so they are more alert at dawn and dusk. Put blackout blinds or curtains with blackout linings at all your window, so the cats stay asleep for longer.

#2 chillminx, Apr 19, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
    OddJob07 likes this.
  3. OddJob07

OddJob07 PetForums Newbie

Thank you @chillminx !

You're advice is much appreciated, I'm certainly going to try the things you have mentioned. I think it probably is a mixture between him being hungry, but sometimes he does it for attention as well - setting up the cat feeder will be a good start to getting a prognosis Thank you again, will post an update!

sandy-cat and chillminx like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice