Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Hi All and me dogs up the duff

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by zeon85, Jul 13, 2009.

1. zeon85

zeon85 PetForums Junior

Hi All,
    I have recently mated my bitch who is a female border collie x Jack russell with my miniture jack russell and wanted to know a bit more information on this that anyone can give me.. I have reasearched throughout her pregancy on various sites for a total of around 150 hours non stop and assembled me whelping kit and arranged a visit to the vets tomorrow morning for 9.30 which should be interesting.. Now at an estimation she is around five weeks pregnant as she stopped her fun and games with the other one around end of may.. (interesting lesson on nature for the kids next door every morning) I have noticed however that her teets seem to be VERY SWOLLEN and her womb/stomach has got alot bigger. I will admit i am a first time breeder and dont want no hate notices etc..
    I have already spoken this through with my partner of four years and its a mutal agreement to give it a go with financies in place if in god forbidden circumstances such as vet bills. Now i want to stress I am not in this breeding scenario for the money or the concept of being one big back garden puppy breeder but am in it for the experience of both myself and my bitch (the four legged version). I beleive every dog should be intitled to a litter sometime within their life..

Now back onto intial topic of interest...

I was wondering if anyone had any good websites i may have missed as i cant find a diagram showing how puppies within the womb are positioned nor can i seem to find any information on how the scanning for puppies works.. I tried to find these and either ended up with loads of over 18 sites popping up in google search or i had pregnant women with puppies sitting on their laps so any advice on this or help would be truely appreciated as this is a happy yet scary moment for one

Kindest Regards

Zeon

2. tashi

tashi PetForums VIP

you need the Book of the Bitch ab fab

3. zeon85

zeon85 PetForums Junior

hehe funny that the receptionist at the vets said i should buy the book.. I will grab a copy of it as soon as HSBC stop messing me around with my bankcard lol as i cant get no money from account but luckily have back up cash stored for emergency use so the book can wait for a moment as dont wanna spend a penny out of line yet incase its needed for other reasons.. I do want to get this book though

4. nat1979

nat1979 PetForums VIP

5. zeon85

zeon85 PetForums Junior

Thank you Nat for this.. I shall be speaking to the vet tomorrow with regards to this and whether to go for the scanning or not.. The general check up costs £30 and a scan would cost an additional £50.. Is 50 quid worth it to know information on puppies or would the initial check up be enough?? Anyone got any idea what a vet does on the check up apart from the feeling and umming and arrgghing that they do??#

Kindest regards

Zeon

6. nat1979

nat1979 PetForums VIP

If you was wanting to get her scanned i would use the women on the website she charges £25 or someone else i know

I find these people better at getting amount of pups right and a due date better than a vet as they do it day in day out

All a vet would do is listern to the bitches heart make sure she is fit and well and listern out for puppy heart beats which my vet could not hear when i took my girls for a check up before i had them scanned

7. nat1979

nat1979 PetForums VIP

Would love to see some pictures of your dogs

8. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

I'm going to play devils advocate here. Why did you breed her?? You have already mated her but your still researching?! All research and health tests should be done way before you even attempt to breed. And by health tests i mean hip/elbow dsyplsia, eye testing etc You say every bitch is 'entitled' to a litter. Thats not true, many many dogs are sold as 'pets' and are not breeding qaulity so if you had her spayed at 6 months then she would never need know what a season/wanting puppies is all about. Your bitch is a cross and was not sold to you as a breeding bitch. Reputable breeders breed there dogs for the good of the breed. Do you actually have demand for many puppies? If any? Are you going to keep one? Breeding dogs (or any animal) is very costly if done properly. You will not make any money providing you have done it right. Now its done i wish your bitch well. As well as her puppies. If you haven't got demand for them (i hope you do) start looking at proper forever homes. Grill potential owners of what they are offering there pups etc etc. But the best place to ask advice is your vet. Good luck. And please keep us updated. I didn't mean to sound off with you. I have my reasons.

noushka05 and clueless like this.
  9. zeon85

zeon85 PetForums Junior

hello Nat,
    I will upload a picture or some pictures now hope they come out alright

[​IMG]

This is a picture of my dog Benji and Me.. Have to excuse me from this photo i have got others of my dogs on my phone Here they are just downloaded from it

[​IMG]

Benji on the left and lulu is on the right... This is her before she became pregant by him

[​IMG]

This is one of his many poses

Kindest regards

Zeon

10. Dundee

Dundee Banned

your bitch doesn't need or desire the experience.

I have to agree with Acacia86 - at a time when we are in a recession and dogs are being handed into rescues in epidemic proportions, this sort of breeding is totally irresponsible ((((((((sigh)))))))))

Luvdogs and clueless like this.
  11. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

Hi There

welcome to pet forums! I wish you and your bitch good luck with the puppies and birth. i'm sorry I can't offer any advice to you but im sure other members will help you.

12. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

I've no idea about breeding but I would love to see some pics :)

13. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

theres no point in being negitive the puppies have been made now so we should all help the OP the best we can regardless of how we feel.

14. zeon85

zeon85 PetForums Junior

Aciadia,
    With regards to the pups and homes.. I have had friends come forward wishing to take on a pup from me.. As stated before i am not in this for the money but for the experience.. Just because a dog is a cross doesnt mean its going to be any worse than a full breed.. I like to do reasearch on things because as a responsible dog owner every bit of a dogs life should be reasearched INCLUDING owning a dog.. Your be amazed the number of people that dont do this and take on any old dog thinking its as good as the next.. With regards to their previous medical family history i checked this out with a vet.. I have covered all angles before breeding them and been told by the vet and many strangers how well the dogs are looked after maintained etc.. I treat my dogs like my children and wouldnt put them through something i felt wouldnt be good or wise.. This is something alot of people dont think about on various topics. As you can see by the pictures i uploaded my dogs are well kept and looked after :)

Kindest regards

Zeon x

15. zeon85

zeon85 PetForums Junior

Thanks for the comments DKDREAM.. and for welcoming me.. I have braced myself for others opinions but i have done homework with where the puppies are going and i have got strict standards when it comes to selling any animal regardless of size If i dont like the look or attitude of someone I shall refuse to sell a pup to them and beleive me when i used to breed rats i maintained this attitude even for a small creature we regard as "vermin"

16. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

I think you have a very good outlook and are meaning well by your dogs. You dont have to justify yourself to anyone if people dont like it then they dont have to reply, the main reason we are on this forum is for the welfare and care of all animals not to critersize people i just dont understand it.

Guinevere13 likes this.
  17. zeon85

zeon85 PetForums Junior

I dont mind some backlash because im new its expected and i know members mean the best for the litter of my bitch but not worry its all been sorted and as my other post states its rules and terms are in the dog chat section.. However people could try not back lashing and be constructive with critism

Guinevere13 likes this.
  18. clueless

clueless Banned

Exactly if ya do not like it PLEASE do not reply Let some other knowledgable members help out. Go for it DK

19. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

i never said you didn't care about dogs. And i'm not denying they look healthy. They do. Its not about that 4 people have springer bitches that want to breed with my boy. But its not going to happen he is not a good specimen of the breed he is working type and under height etc etc. I have said i wish your bitch well whats done is done. I don't want to fall out with anybody. With regards to researching i am getting another puppy in the next year or so, and thats all i have done researching and because i can not decide 100% which breed i will carry on studying. As well as trying to talking to trainers and spending time with the specific breeds. But on the note of pups please please keep us all updated and treat us to pictures once you girl has had them. I wasn't trying to be mean i put my point across and now i'm hoping you'll make a thread dedicated to your bitches progress with pregnancy, whelping and puppies! And i'm looking forward to it! X

20. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

its good that you have finances in place should things go wrong it did for me, you have to be aware that some bitches loose their lives, my bitch almost lost hers & my friend did loose her 3yr old Bullmastiff leaving her with 10 puppies to hand rear of which only 4 survived, she had to leave her job to devote her time to rearing them . You will need someone with the bitch for at least the 1st few weeks after the birth & i wouldnt leave her alone for the week before she is due either, hopefully you have thought of this tho.

if i were you i would prepare some kind of puppy contract & have the new owners sign it, this will hopefully ensure that if things dont work out at any time in the dogs life they will come back to you & not end up in rescue or in the wrong hands.

just out of interest how old are your dogs?:)

#20 noushka05, Jul 14, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2009
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice