Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Hi advice needed please :-/

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by trobson09, Oct 6, 2013.

1. trobson09

trobson09 PetForums Newbie

Hi I am new to the site so not sure where to post but wondered if anyone could help? I have a 2 year old shorkie and we decided a few months ago to get another (who is now nearly 6months old) the older dog was house trained and the puppy now goes outside also, however over the last couple of weeks my older dog has started to pee and occasionally poo in the kitchen even though the back door is open he then lies on his back and shakes ( I have only ever said a firm no and placed him outside) so I don't understand why he shakes which upsets me. He has also started to jump up onto the chair and then onto my kitchen table and has ripped up puppy pads if I have put one down just incase. If I give them both a kong he will eat his treats and then get the puppy's and run off with it but then when he has a chew and the puppy wants it he lets him have it ( although I do try to stop this? He is normally a good dog and we have had no other problems, him and the puppy play a lot together. Any help or advice would be much appreciated please!

2. Knightofalbion

Knightofalbion PetForums VIP

A very warm welcome to the forum.

This sounds like one for the 'Dog - Training and Behaviour' section....

3. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Was your two year old originally trained with puppy pads. If he was then its possible that with a mixture of getting a new pup who I assume although now clean had accidents when training and the puppy pads he may think its OK to got in the house again. Puppy pads can act as a cue that inside the house is acceptable and they will start going inside again.

Personally I would go back to basics with the two year old and even the younger one again, taking them out regularly and after drinking, eating, playing and sleeping as you would when first training a new puppy, and when he or they both do something outside lots of praise and treats to re-enforce that they have got it right.
    You may well find by getting rid of the pads and doing a crash course in re toilet training it should help.

I wouldn't reprimand him in any way, if it does happen, then ignore it and just clean up, make sure you use a special pet stain odour remover as any smells left that you may not be able to smell but he can, usually encourages it more too.

If the problem doesn't resolve then obviously it will need re think.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice