Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Hey everyone

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Kitty_pig, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Kitty_pig

Kitty_pig PetForums VIP

Hello all hope everyone is well. Apologies for not being on for aggggeeeessss! We have recently moved into a new flat which is huge :eek: . There has been a problem though. Luna has gone back to hating us :( since she has been in the flat and back to being a house cat she is destructive, attacking us (there have been several close calls with her claws and my eyes). She bites our faces and anything else she can get her teeth into. There are no cuddles or strokes anymore. She has all her toys and the full run of the flat, but all she does is sit on the window sills looking out. I feel so helpless. My partner feels we are being cruel keeping her in but agrees we cant let her out as we live on a busy road. We are on the top floor of the building so a cat run is out of the question. After she attacked me again this morning he suggested we re-home her.

It sounds stupid given how horrible she is being with us, but I cant handle the thought of giving her up. I would always wonder if they were looking after her right :( You have all helped me so much in the past, do you have any ideas of what I can do, neither of us want to lose her, she really is our baby :(

2018_0220birthdaypix0015.jpg

2. Jenny1966

Jenny1966 PetForums VIP

Good to see you back and all settled in your new place :)

Have you tried the obvious .... feliway or pet remedy plug ins?

3. AlfiesArk

AlfiesArk PetForums VIP

She'll just be feeling unsettled in her new surroundings and annoyed at you from taking her away from her old home.

Try the feliway and lots of reassure words.... talk to her constantly but don't try forcing attention and cuddles on her.Make sure she has plenty to occupy her and that it's all familiar things.

Don't give up on your little girl she'll come round again.

Em x

4. broccoli

broccoli PetForums VIP

how long have you been in the new place? could just be settling in?

5. dagny0823

dagny0823 PetForums VIP

How about some Rescue Remedy in her water?

I agree with everyone--she's just very annoyed at you for the move. Give her time and space, tempt her with treats, pet her teensy bits (enough to crave more) and then move on. Some cats take longer than others to come around. We were so worried moving ours 2 1/2 hours away--all the time in the car, stuck in the crate and individual carriers. And they were all just fine, like nothing ever happened. But some cats will blame you for taking away everything that made them comfortable. Ooh, here's another thought--take a t-shirt or jumper or something that really smells like you---wear it around for a day, and then put it in her bed, or where she typically sleeps. If she has a spot that makes her feel safe, then even though your smell is obviously familiar to her, putting your smell in that safe spot will start to retrain her to remember you are safe and comforting too.

Good luck. It could take a while, but I don't think it will take nearly as long as it did the first time you got her to love you. And she still does--she's just holding a nasty grudge.

6. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Hi stranger,hope you are well.Sorry to read about Luna,as everyone has said she is toally p***ed off because you have upset her world.It might be worth trying some Zylkene Zylkene 75mg (Cat & Small Dog) --- Petremedies they are a natural stress remedy and will do no harm.I really dont know what to suggest by way of helping her to adapt other than feliway diffuser ,feliway spray and even felifriend which you spray on your hands as a comforting smell for your cat Feliway for Cats --- Petremedies .It may be worth consulting a pet behaviourist if all else fails,the problem with rehoming her could be that she just doesnt settle in a new home either.I hope this all works out and Luna settles down,you have been through so much with her,I know if it were Meeko I would be heartbroken

7. Kitty_pig

Kitty_pig PetForums VIP

Hiya all

again apologies for the delay in replying no internet at home yet :mad: Luna is not going anywhere shes our fur baby and she isn't leaving, as much as she is attacking my feet constantly we cant handle being away from her.

I had completely forgotten about feliway, can I get that from pets at home? She has tons of toys which she is playing with. And trying to attack the guinea pig but thats nothing new.

Thank you so much for all your help, Ive missed being on here loads. Cant wait to get internet at home so I can come back on here more often :lol:

8. Kat1703

Kat1703 PetForums Senior

9. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

So glad to read that Luna is safe ;)I didnt think after all you've been through that you could part with her.I would shop around on the internet for feliway it is much cheaper on line than at P&H.I used to get it from here Bestpet Pharmacy - - <b>Feliway Diffuser</b> Plug In With free postage .But I believe there are others cheaper.Paws crossed Luna is back on track soon :)

#9 buffie, Jan 17, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  10. Mummy of Jaffe Joffer

Mummy of Jaffe Joffer PetForums VIP

Hi KP, Sorry to here Luna is unhappy but like the others say she is probably just feeling unsettled. Has she got a safe place like she would of done when she first came to live with you? I'm just wondering if a re introduction might help. Large spaces can be very over whelming when it is unknown and smells unfamiliar. My other thought is that although she cannot go out on here own is it worth trying harness training so that you can still take her outside for a little wander? This may relief some of her frustration.

It is really upsetting when they are cross at you (Jaffe is still cross at me for leaving him with the OH for a week) but like everyone tells me a bit of time, patients and tlc and they will come around. I really hope you all settle in soon. xxx

11. Kitty_pig

Kitty_pig PetForums VIP

Hi MOJJ :) she has a few safe places, her carrier which she used to sleep in when she was younger, and for some strange reason any primark paper carrier bag I have has become a den :lol:

I tried the harness training but unfortunately she thinks Im steve irwin and does crocodile death rolls :lol: Thank you for all the feliway links. we will sort that out asap :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice