Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

He's Here!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Animal Freak, Sep 5, 2020.

1. Animal Freak

Animal Freak PetForums Member

I got my new boy today! No name as of yet. He's definitely a big boy with some big paws! He handled the drive home well once we got him in the vehicle. Getting him in was a tad difficult, but we managed. My dog, Stella, is not a fan. She did better than I expected when we introduced them at the shelter, but she doesn't quite like him in her house. He's done fairly well with her and does back off when she warns him off, but he's getting a bit frustrated because he wants to be her friend and she wants nothing to do with him. They just had a bit of a talk-off because Stella started growling at him. Well, he won the talk-off. The noises he makes are really funny though.

We have had some issues with the cats though, unfortunately. He didn't live with cats in the house at his foster home, but they had barn cats and they said he was fine with them. They seemed pretty confident he wouldn't be phases, but that hasn't been the case. He hasn't tried lunging for them or anything, but he does bark at them. The cats have gone into hiding and haven't come out for a little while now. Not entirely sure what we're going to do about that though.

Otherwise he's been a little unsettled and restless, but very sweet and he listens pretty well. He's very food motivated and likes toys. So far his favorite toy has been a cat toy. Go figure. It's a bird that chirps and I haven't gotten him interested in any other toys as much as he's interested in that one. He's pretty gentle with it though.

Here's a list of names I'm considering:

Ace
    Onyx and/or Nyx
    Noctis and/or Nox
    Osiris

And, of course, pictures! I don't have any great ones yet, but here's what I have:

On the way home:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At home:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nicola234, Twiggy, westie~ma and 15 others like this.
  2. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

He is Anubis! Google it.

3. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

He’s very handsome :)

I think names with one or two syllables work best for calling a dog.

Of your choices I prefer Ace and Onyx.

Jim40 and O2.0 like this.
  4. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

what a handsome boy!

5. PawsOnMe

PawsOnMe PetForums VIP

I like Nyx. He's gorgeous :)

6. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

Lovely looking boy :)
    I vote Nox or Osiris

7. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

That was my immediate thought when I saw the second photo:)

Happy Paws2, ForestWomble and JoanneF like this.
  8. Squeeze

Squeeze PetForums VIP

He’s a beauty...!

9. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

Yes he definitely looks like Anubis!

Happy Paws2, ForestWomble and JoanneF like this.
  10. What a handsome boy :) I love his ears

11. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

He's a good looking boy isn't he? Congratulations!

I agree, I really like 2 syllables myself. But I also really like Anubis for him!

ForestWomble, JoanneF and Lurcherlad like this.
  12. Animal Freak

Haha. He does look like Anubis! I can't unsee it now.

He's beautiful. I can't get over how beautiful he is.

We did have an incident with a cat. My most skittish cat came out without me knowing. He'd been sleeping and just woke up and saw her. He barked and went after her, but she was long gone and by the time I actually got to him, it looked like he might've been heading for the kitchen instead. He also wasn't running very quickly. I put a gate up to block off the hall and a little later that same cat came of the room and into the hall. We fed them both chicken on either side of the gate and he did well, but he also did bark at her a few minutes after.

Otherwise he's super gentle and friendly. Likes to sleep with his head pressed against my leg. He's a bit vocal. Makes lots of groany noises when he wants to sleep. He's whined a bit for no apparent reason, but I'm guessing he's a bit unsettled and missing his fosters. He's also gotten into a couple of yelling matches with Stella. Well, Stella growls. He yells. It's kind of funny.

13. Animal Freak

Does anyone have any tips on getting him to stop barking at the cats? It's really the only issue we're having so far and, as much as I already love him, I can't have him stressing my cats out all the time. They've actually done pretty well and all of them have made attempts at coming out of hiding, but he starts barking the second he sees them. I can't preempt him without distracting him before he even sees them. He starts barking immediately and they don't stick around after the first bark.

14. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Well, you've had him what, a day?
    It's going to take him and the cats time to adjust. It took a good 2 weeks for our cats to adjust to Penny and she's smaller than them, well smaller than one of them, about the same size as our female. But my point is, this isn't going to be solved right away. Be patient :)

Keep the gate up, let the cats know they have a safe area, and keep a house line on doggo (have you decided on a name yet?) so you can control his movements inside the house. If he goes to lunge for the cats, grab the line so he doesn't get to practice the behavior.

For the barking, the best trick I know is to smear peanut butter (make sure he likes it first) around a smallish yogurt pot. Whenever he barks, quickly put the yogurt pot over his mouth, he can't bark and lick out yummy peanut butter at the same time. Repeat enough times and eventually you create a new behavior - see cats, look for peanut butter muzzle to magically appear, instead of thinking about the cats he's thinking about the peanut butter muzzle.
    You could try for the same results with rapid fire treats, it's easier to keep treats strategically stashed around the house and in your pockets than a peanut butter muzzle, but they don't have the muzzling effect too.

LittleMow, Torin., JoanneF and 2 others like this.
  15. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

That was my first thought too, he certainly looks like the images and statues of him.

Happy Paws2 and JoanneF like this.
  16. Grace Bob

Grace Bob PetForums Senior

Ace Gorgeous pup!!

#16 Grace Bob, Sep 6, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
  17. Animal Freak

Of course! Don't get me wrong, I don't expect it to be solved in a day. I just didn't know how to solve it at all. I figured it would be best to ask people who have more experience than me rather than try whatever comes to mind and end up doing more harm than good. Plus, I just sort of wanted some reassurance that it could be solved. He's very reactive to cats. Even cats on the TV. But we boiled some chicken and once he figured out I was handing that out, cats on the TV didn't phase him. He's definitely food motivated, that's for sure. I feel bad putting my cats through this too. They're really not a problem at all. All of them have tried to come out and have recovered from his presence better than I would've expected, but every time he barks sets them back again. And he doesn't stop until you intervene somehow. Even after getting him away and quiet, he stays alert for a few minutes after that and will growl a bit. We have had a leash on him constantly so we could grab him easily.

Thanks for the advice! I'll try that. We actually gave him peanut butter for the first time today and he did like it. I've been using a mix of his food, Purebites treats, and boiled chicken to get his attention. He does have an okay leave it command that I plan on working on more. I can't usually have treats around the house because the cats will find them, but I guess I can now since they aren't coming out. Just have to watch it at night because they will come out while he's asleep.

He really seems to think they're intruders or something. You should see him when I go where the cats are! It's like he thinks they're going to kill me. We had an episode where one of the cats had come out and he started barking. The cat left and I finally got him quiet. I left him with my mom so I could check for the cat, but when I got more than a few feet away, he started barking like crazy.

18. Animal Freak

So doggo chose his own name. We called different names and he responded the quickest to Osiris or Si (pronounced like sigh), so he's officially the Egyptian god of the Underworld. I kind of wanted to name him Nox because it translates to night and Stella's name translates to star, but I like Osiris too.

Other than the cat issue, he's wonderful. He does get a little persistent in trying to get Stella to play when he's excited, but he very rarely touches her. Just yells at her a lot. He is a little noisy. I've noticed he's kind of a suspicious dog. I can't say he's noise sensitive like Stella because there are noises that get Stella huffing and growling, but he's unfazed. It's mostly noises in the house, especially unfamiliar noises that will get him barking and growling. He gets used to things pretty quickly though.

We took him for his first walk this morning. He's not bad on the leash. Doesn't really pull, but he does switch sides a lot and, of course, stops to sniff a lot. I took the long line to work on his engagement. We ran around a bit, played with toys, and did a little training. He loves running with me. He liked when I kicked a ball and he could chase it, but then he'd just leave it there. He's not really bothered by other people. Started approaching one lady and was interested in a guy walking behind us, but he's really not that interested. Which I'm fine with! He did start barking at a dog that was on a long line too and started running back and forth wanting to come play, but I got his attention and he was fine after that. He's a little more interested in dog than I'd like, but I think I can still work on that. Other than briefly barking at that one dog, he was quiet and liked watching everything happen. He did love chasing insects though and it was adorable watching him.

He also had to have a bath today. He was a very smelly dog. Turns out he's a huge baby. Big drama queen. He did not like the bath at all. Keeping him in the bath isn't easy! He's a big dog. We'll have to work on that as well.

He likes watching TV. Especially birds. He really gets into it too. I've never actually seen a dog like that. There are videos of course, but he's the first I've met.

Overall, he's a very sweet dog. His fosters didn't really give the right idea about him though. I don't think they did much with him. Just let him run with their other dogs. He's playful, but entertains himself very well. He likes throwing toys around and loves a chirping bird toy that's the cats. He's quite gentle with them though. He's not much good at tug-of-war either since he barely holds the toy. He loves food. Need to work on some manners like not sticking his nose in my food. He could be worse though and does give up. He's affectionate, but not overly clingy. He doesn't like me going places he can't go though and will whine. Right now he's passed out on his bed.

We do have plans to visit family tomorrow. I wasn't planning on taking him anywhere other than the park so soon, but we got the invitation Friday night and couldn't turn it down. I haven't seen my family in so long. So he will be tagging along for that. Fortunately, he does well with travel and was curious and playful at the park today.

19. Animal Freak

I've noticed Osiris has some big dew claws on his back feet. I've only noticed those one a few dogs before (not that I was looking) and I was wondering if that was normal in the random bred population or could it be an indication of a certain breed? I don't really know anything about those back dew claws except that I'm not used to seeing them.

20. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

I like the name choice :D

Welcome Osiris!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice