Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

hernia's

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by kez86, May 24, 2010.

1. kez86

kez86 PetForums Newbie

hi i get my first puppy soon she is currently 6 and a bit and i was informed today that shes may have got a hernia which happened from the mother chewing the umbilical cord too close none of the other puppies in the litter have the same problem.
    the lump is about the same size as a £1 coin but is soft

ive visted the puppy numberous of time so am greatly attached to her already
    will this cause any great issues with her health and is there anythin that can be done
    sorry the post is so long

2. alaun

alaun PetForums VIP

Hi

Firstly umbilical hernias are hereditary, not caused by the dam chewing too closely - this was thought to be the cause in the past but has since been disproven by science. So you shouldn't breed from your pup.

You can have them repaired when you have your pup spayed - it isn't a big problem and isn't costly to repair either.

I wouldn't let it put you off getting the pup, it is unlikely to cause any problems.

3. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

My sisters pup had an umbilical hernia, he had to have it repaired as it wouldnt wait till he was neutered and it cost several hundred punds to do, as its an existing condition your insurance probably wont cover it, sorry I dont mean to sound off putting but you should get your breeder to offer to pay towards the cost of the operation. Having said that his hernia was quite a bad one and a lot of them I understand will wait till neutering.

4. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

The size of a pound coin shouldn't pose any problems healthwise but it is definitely hereditary and if you are considering showing and breeding your girl then I'm afraid that she would not be able to breed from and probably wouldn't do well in the ring. But if she is to remain a pet there is no reason why you shouldn't get her and have it corrected during having her spay operation.

5. julianne

julianne PetForums Member

Hi .I had an Old English Sheepdog with an umbilical hernia .My vet didn't think it was worth operating on and he never had any problems with it .I just kept an eye on it whilst i was combing him so i didn't catch it.:)

6. kez86

kez86 PetForums Newbie

thankyou of the advise im less worried about it now
    when the breeder told me today i just took on look at my pups face and knew i still wanted her the breeder has agree to reduce the price.
    ive bought her with the intension of havin her just as a pet and will be gettin her spayed.
    At what age do you recommened on spayin them as shes currenlty 6 weeks 2days

7. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

3 months after the end of her first season

8. kez86

kez86 PetForums Newbie

ive booked the puppy in to be seen by a vet when i get to check her over make sure shes okay
    has anyone else had any experience with hernia and how much they cost to be put right, ive been advised by a friend at work whos breeded dog in the passed to not pay the full amount to the breeder until ive had her checked out.

9. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

I don't think they'll charge extra when they do it during a spay.

10. kez86

kez86 PetForums Newbie

ive been told this by a few people
    some have also said if they do it will only be a small fee as its done at same time, guess its like everythin depends on the vet

11. kez86

kez86 PetForums Newbie

hiy guys took milly to the vet today and theyve adviced that she be operated on next week as for a puppy her size the herna is big and they can fell her intesings, ive been told to check her everyday
    she'll only be 7 weeks and 3 days when she has the operation so im a bit worried about her

12. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

My sisters pup was only 10 weeks old when he had the same operation and he sailed through it, he recovered unbelievably quickly.

13. kez86

kez86 PetForums Newbie

thankyou for the reply
    made me feel more at ease, when their that young havin an op makes you worry

14. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

Generally speaking the younger, the faster the recovery. I wouldn't want the operation on a four week old or younger but would feel fine with a 7 week old

15. kez86

kez86 PetForums Newbie

hi every took milly to the vet today the hernia was worse than they thought and i was told she would have only lasted a few more days if id not took her when i did
    shes had the op and so far so good their keepin her monitored and should be back with me tonight im so worried at minute

16. Olly's Mum

Olly's Mum PetForums Member

One of my mums dogs lucy had an umbilical hernia, the vets repaired it when she was spayed it just involved a slightly larger incision. The vet did say it would have been ok if left but he just repaired it whilst he was "in there". No extra cost either.

17. theevos5

theevos5 PetForums VIP

Alfie had an umbilica hernia,here it is at 8 wks,we went to the vet and he said in time it would disappear and it has:)
    Sorry that you have had to go through this so early on with Milly hope she is well after her op

Attached Files:

18. alaun

alaun PetForums VIP

Oh dear I'm sorry poor Milly. It must have been pretty big then? I hope she gets better soon. Xx

19. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

Gosh I'm so sorry I never thought it would be that big! Glad she is doing well though. You'll feel much better when you can see her. Did you have her spayed at same time? Have you ever had a dog spayed? if so treat her exactly the same as regards to rest and if possible a t shirt or if she's small enough a baby grow to stop her licking.

20. kez86

kez86 PetForums Newbie

hi thankyou for all replies, i didnt get her spayed while they were treating the hernia as she had a whole in abdomen which need to be repaired to
    so far shes doin well has to go back to vets for a check up on tuesday, i just feel so sorry for her with everythin shes gone through as shes only 8 week today
    i not sure what to do bout havin her spayed now with her goin through so much

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice