Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Hernia.....

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by JennieJet, Jul 8, 2009.

1. JennieJet

JennieJet PetForums Member

hi, my labrador puppy was born with a hernia and when we got her the breeder said that the vet was happy with its size etc and should not be a problem. At times when we rubbed it it would coil back in and our vet said its ok but they would repair it when we have her spade after her first season. I am a little concerned now as it has got bigger..not massive but bigger and we can no longer get it back it !!! It does not bother her at all and I was wondering do I need to worry about it or just wait until she is done ??? She is 16 weeks old now.....

2. gesic

gesic PetForums VIP

I would get it ckd by ur vet.
    If it is a small loop of intestine that was protruding and it is now stuk u would end up with a strangultated hernea which is serious as it stops the flow in the intestines. the result would be a poolry pup, starting off vomiting and deteriorating rapidly.
    However it could just be a small piece of what is known as omentum which is tissue within the abdoman which provides a biit extra protection. If it is this then u are safe to hang on till she is old enough to be speyed.
    Either way get it ckd as better safe :)

3. JennieJet

JennieJet PetForums Member

hi, thanks...when my vet looked at it when she was 10 weeks old she said it would be fine and they would close it up when then spaye her ( the hernia is where her belly button is)......just a little concerned as it has got a tiny bit bigger, not much bit a little bit ???

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice