Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Heritability of HD

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by luvmydogs, May 28, 2010.

1. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

If it is only 35-40%, there is MORE chance of HD being something else. So what's the point of hipscoring??? I do hipscore, but have just been thinking about this, and wondered what peoples thoughts were.

2. Starlite

Starlite PetForums VIP

I think because it can be very prevelant in some breeds including mine and although there is more chance of HD actually being another ailment i feel i'd like to know how my dog is affected in terms of the results and i can make my own decision whether to use that dog for breeding.

I think it also shows you are taking into account any progeny's welfare by health testing your dog and helping reduce the chances of hereditary ailments being passed down a line necassarily

I would much rather the chances of passing it on are zero so i will continue testing and feel much better personally about breeding from a dog with a low scoring :)

3. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

Well of course, we all would. :) But the statistics show that HD is more likely than not caused by something else rather than being passed on. :confused1:

4. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

Always important to remind people getting pups the importance of inviromental contributions to HD.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice