Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Here's an interesting question - Do your dogs know how to get home?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by ad_1980, Jul 27, 2009.

1. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

Ok lets say your dog decided to disappear while you were out on a walk. You lose this dog, scream his/her name, go looking everywhere for him/her but can't find him/her. In the end you're in tears, given up hope of finding him and walk yourself home - only to find the said dog is actually inside the house - apparently he was just sitting at the door when someone at home opened the door to find him there (yes i'm talking about dante lol)

This was quite a miracle and was the only time it ever happened to us, i doubt we'd be so lucky again - don't think mika is smart enough to know the way back lol

So...what about your dogs?

2. Classyellie

Classyellie PetForums VIP

Harvey never strays more than 15ft away from me at anytime :D But he'd know his way back home if he did if we were on one of our regular walks :)

With Pippa, time will tell!

Ellie x

3. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Candy used to wander and she always knew her way home.

Sky knows where we are when we get to a certain place and could get home from there but if she got lost she probably couldn't find her way.

4. CheekoAndCo

CheekoAndCo PetForums VIP

Well we almost lost Cheeko when he was a pup because he was on an extending lead and it slipped from mum's hand so he just ran for it. He runs really fast so mum had trouble catching up with him. He was very lucky because it wrapped around a fence at someones house just feet from the main road. He was running the way home so maybe he was going home. When there's fireworks or he's picked up something he shouldn't going round the block he knows the way home for sure. Can't go round any quicker!

5. wooliewoo

wooliewoo PetForums VIP

We are lucky to have the park entrance a stones throw from us. Both my girls at one time or another have brought themselves home......luckily though they dont take themselves to the park:eek:
    I have watched them come home(after a panic call from hubby when they ran off) and they follow the same route they were walked on sticking to the pavement.

I wouldnt know if they could find way home from somewhere else....... and i dont intend to find out:smilewinkgrin:

A cat my mum had was re homed (he was a British Blue and quite fiesty) and it took a week but he found his way home 5 miles (how he did it no one knows as he went by car so not like he followed a scent). Needless to say he stayed with mum after that and he didnt attempt to go off and settled into a loving friendly pet

#5 wooliewoo, Jul 27, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2009
  6. Cassies-mum

Cassies-mum PetForums VIP

next fdoors dog walked home from the woods, she heard a loud noise and took herself home :rolleyes:

Cassie doesnt go away from us on walks :rolleyes:

one time she escaped though - took herself to the pet shop :rolleyes:

7. basi

basi PetForums Senior

Cali did that to me a few years back. We were in the woods and she decided to go off hunting and must have lost. I was in a right state with all sorts of things going through my head. I got in sight of the house and saw something standing at my front door, yes it was Cali. The worrying thing was that she would have had to cross several roads to get home, though thankfully she had her bright yellow coat on as it was winter and it makes it easier for me to spot her in the woods, so hopefully that made it easier for drivers to spot her:rolleyes:

8. Patterdale_lover

Patterdale_lover PetForums VIP

Yep all my dogs do
    I think if you walk a certain way enough they all now how to get home.

9. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

Yes harvey has found his way home before, i dont think its anything to with being smart i think anydog would be able to do it its the sense of smell that brings them back home.

10. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

Buster was and I'm sure still is a canine Houdini he always use to get out it took a while to get him trained not to. But he always came back not to sure about now though.

11. candysmum

candysmum PetForums VIP

yes and yes

Coco used to walk home on her own

Misty if she runs off on the odd occassion she thinks to escape out the front door when i open it for some reason i can't chase her because of the 4 kids but she always walks back and comes home.

Candy i have NO idea as she has never ran further than 2 metres in front of me

12. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

I'm not irresponsible enough to try it :001_tt2:

Dogs are crated if someone knocks the door,the kids also know to keep the doors closed if someone calls and the dogs are about.

Staffords don't have great deal of road sense and are all to often the victims of RTA's.

13. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

i'm talking of if you lose them in a park or something sallyanne, not at home! LOL

14. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

I wouldn't give them a chance,if there recall isn't spot on they are not allowed offlead.

Tyler went fox hunting a few weeks ago but O/H did eventually catch him,so we are wary about about where we let offlead now.
    He only goes off in a secure area.
    Meg isn't allowed offlead at all due to her aggression with other dogs.The only time she goes offlead is very early morning or very late evening when we know there will be no one around. :)

15. RowanWolf

RowanWolf PetForums Member

My last GSD x collie got out once. He was a stray used to being out all day when we got him. He brought himself home a little while later.

16. PembrokeMadhouse

PembrokeMadhouse PetForums VIP

My dog has come home 3 times now, and last night was the classic "senior" moment to be had - the kids did laugh at me...
    I took dog for late night wee stop as you do... accompanied by cats and all unsundry, and obviously came through the door, shut the door lock up for the night .... called for the dog to go to bed about 10 minutes later - no response... where's the dog, mass search ensues.... I go out side nad look around call her name, no sign.... panic a bit more now, and then she appears...

I must have come through the door, let all the cats in, and not registered that she was having a "sniff", and locked the door on her!!! Poor thing!

However 2 occasions, once she has found her way home from 3 miles away, she ran off scared was out overnight but ended up sitting outside the co-op - had been all day apparently - obviously knew I would go there eventually, and yes I did, and there she was!!

The other occasion she actually went to my friends house!

17. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

What is the reason for Meg's aggression? Is it fear? These sort of problems always interest me x

18. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

In the winter last year just before it got dark, I was at Epsom Downs taking Max for a walk. We had a run in with another dog and Max got really spooked and just ran. It was only about an hour before it got dark and anybody that knows Epsom downs, knows it is pitch black, with no street lighting.

We had only ever driven there as it is too far to walk. I searched and searched for him and everytime I came across somebody and explained, I burst into tears. My husband came down to look for him and ended up staying near to where the car was parked for 3 hours, in the hope he would come back.

Eventually it was 9pm and we all went home (went out at 3pm). Spent the whole time crying and finally went up to bed about 10.30pm. Max is very nervous of people so I knew he wouldn;t go up to anyone.

As I was about to go up to bed, I heard barking at the front door. Lo and behold, there was Max. What a feeling to have him home! He was cold and hungry and confused. He also ended up going to the vet because his feet were so sore from walking.

It was the worst and best night of my life. Dogs are amazing, he had never walked there before, but yet he managed to get himself home.

x

19. cassie01

cassie01 PetForums VIP

my moms old dog was taken in by her auntie before giving it to my mom. when the dog came to her aunt it was raining and was in a right state (had been abused by gypsies) once it was fit and well my mom had it and it was a great dog, there was a great big common over the back where dogs used to run loose, anyways everytime it rained this dog would go back to my moms aunts house and they would have to go and fetch it again. everytime!!! it was about 4-5 miles away too. dont know how it remembered the way back as when they took it home they took it in the car!! very clever

oh and yes i think mine know the way home, never given them a change to try it but i think they do.

20. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

Zeb yes if we were on our normal walk he'd come home no problem at all

Bear no as hes only been here 3 days but im sure he will in time

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice