Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Here we go again

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Callie, May 19, 2010.

1. Callie

Callie PetForums Senior

Hi for those that read my thread before my bitch was refusing her dog food.
    Eventually she started to eat but now she has gone off it again!!!
    She only has a week to go and I am really worried.
    Asked vet last week (as they keep telling me not to give in as she will eat)and they were like polititians and will not give me an answer to" but what if she doesn't start to eat, can she survive giving birth considering the amount she has eaten during her pregnancy.
    Have bought some tripe and am defrosting it so prob try this tomorrow if no improvement. Any suggestions what to mix it with.

2. casandra

casandra PetForums VIP

You may need to start bringing out the smelly arsenal.

Kippers/Mackeral seems a favourite X_____x

3. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

pilchards in tomato sauce :)

4. Lucylewis0

Lucylewis0 PetForums VIP

yep smelly fish always seems to work :thumbup:

5. Callie

Callie PetForums Senior

Gave her the tripe and brown bread (gave ti raw and so far ok. Will get some fish too. What else should I mix it with. I am really dreading next week as I keep reading about calcium and eclampsia but s'pose will just have to wait and see. Another question- How warm does everyone keep their rooms where whelping box is. Got a heat pad but will i have to have radiator on in that room too?

6. xxwelshcrazyxx

xxwelshcrazyxx PetForums VIP

From birth until about 3 weeks, puppies cannot regulate their own body temperature, so you must carefully guard against chilling, which can be fatal. Keep puppies indoors, off cold floors, in a draft-free room that's between 70-80 degrees. The puppies get their best heat from mom, your room temperature should be about 80-85 degrees. Indirect heat from warm water bottles or heat lamps may also be used. I put a heat pad in our whelphing box in half the area so if they get too hot they can crawl away to a cooler spot.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice