Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

hen with "powdery " head

Discussion in 'Poultry Health and Nutrition' started by calico, Mar 11, 2014.

1. calico

calico PetForums Junior

I have a bantam hen with what looks like white powder over her face and comb. I tried to wipe it off with wet cotton wool but no luck.
    It doesn't seem to bother her and the other hen and the cockerel with her haven't got any signs of it. Any ideas please ?

2. AlexArt

AlexArt PetForums Senior

Have you got a pic? When did you last treat them for crawlies?

3. calico

calico PetForums Junior

They were all powdered a month ago, together with their houses. A friend has told me to try an athletes foot ointment which I did three days ago and it seems clearer. I will put some on again tomorrow and hope that will sort it out.

4. AlexArt

AlexArt PetForums Senior

Fungal infections do happen and it is usually around their heads, mainly cockerels get it, so you're doing right there with the cream, keep applying it for 2 weeks, if it goes away then you know what it was!:)
    I wouldn't bother with louse powder it's about as much use as putting flour on an animal! It doesn't kill lice just repels them, try a spot on treatment or a spray type like Frontline, although not licensed for chooks it doesn't hurt them and works well, likewise a spray for their house too.

5. calico

calico PetForums Junior

Thanks for your help, problem solved, fingers crossed .

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice