Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Helping with an obsessed puppy

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by MatandOzzy, Oct 11, 2021.

1. MatandOzzy

MatandOzzy PetForums Newbie

I have a male miniature dachshund called Ozzy that is 16 months old. He's really well trained I believe and when we go on walks he's never really fussed by any other dogs. I took him to a day care throughout his first 9 months and I think that helped a lot with his understanding of other dogs.

Our friends got a bitch sprocker about 9 months after we got Ozzy and naturally when we have gatherings we both take our dogs. Their sprocker is just happy to have a bit of a play fight and a run around but our sausage becomes possessed constantly trying to sniff after her and trying to hump. Fortunately she's that much bigger and stronger he doesn't get very far. Even if we separate them to have a calm down for 5 minutes he will just sit there whining or barking to go to her which can get a bit annoying and embarrassing.

He's not like this with any other dog and was just wondering what we could do to prevent this when they're together. We was going to speak to our vet about neutering but seeing as it seems to be an isolated occurrence with our friends sprocker we don't believe this will help much because he's already associated her with this type of behaviour.

I'm also dreading what he might act like around the time she gets her seasons.

Is there any advice you could give me?

2. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Has this happened every time they've been together, right from the start?

Magyarmum likes this.
  3. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Is he entire, in which case, if the bitch is not spayed there will be a month twice a year that you cannot have meet ups.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  4. MatandOzzy

MatandOzzy PetForums Newbie

Pretty much albeit since they got their dog we've only met up approx 5 times

5. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

Is it just the two dogs at these ‘gatherings’ ?

If he’s reacting like this is it possible she has a UTI?

Apart from that, as has been said, you’re going to have to plan ahead for when she comes in season.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice