Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

help?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by leannelatty, Aug 14, 2009.

1. leannelatty

leannelatty PetForums VIP

I currently have 2 cats (Lola, 1 and Rusty,3). Rusty has lived with dogs before i rehomed her 18 months ago but have had lola since she was a kitten. i am adopting a cocker spaniel puppy next week and need to find out the best way to introduce them. any ideas?

2. munners

munners PetForums Junior

The thing with cockers is being gun dogs they will chase the cats if they have not already learnt to have manners around the cats.So from my experiance the first thing you will need to do is teach puppy that they are not fair game and the cats usually come around in their own time.

Hope this helps
    Nicki

#2 munners, Aug 14, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2009
  3. kidsandcats

kidsandcats PetForums Member

Hi

As you say that it's a puppy you shouldn't have too many problems. In my experience with having cats and dogs together it's the cats that are the boss. The cats will soon let the puppy know who's boss by swiping if he/she does something they don't like. Please be careful and watch them together as the puppy will be at risk from getting scratched in the eyes.

Sharon
    x

4. Midnight

Midnight PetForums VIP

Personally i would never risk it again ... after previous experiences my tabby boy ran away and went to live a few doors down :( he just decided NO DOGS ! so be very careful with intro's as you know already you don't own a cat they own you ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice