Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

help

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by katie200, Aug 12, 2009.

1. katie200

katie200 PetForums VIP

hi i have a labradore puppy thats 5 mounth old that wont stop chewing my kitchen capets and my mum is at the end of her tether and has said she may get rid of her but i was wondering if anyone has a way of stoping her chewing befor i lose her ive tryed to find chew bones that last for her age but there all for a yr and up i need so help so please if anyone has some idears could you help

2. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

If I were you I would crate train her. That way when you can't have 100% attention on her, you know she is safe. Not only is carpet chewing annoying for your mum, your pup could get seriously ill, and cost you 100's in vets bills if he carpet blocks her insides.

When you catch the pup about to chew the carpet, tell her no, and give her a chew of her own. Nylabone's are long lasting and you can get them for puppies. Pressed rawhide is good too.

She also is probably teething so you want to give her lots of things she can chew... Carrots are good. And putting a damp tea towel in the freezer is good for teething too.

x

3. sammyben

sammyben Guest

Agree with Poisongirl...we also have an (almost 5 month :D) lab and *touch wood* he has not chewed anything (except one of my fave shoes but I left it lying around).

Anyway, he could be bored and needs more fun/stimulating toys and he is also likely to be teething.

There is some sort of spray you can buy that is supposed to deter them from chewing but not sure if it is effective or not!

X

4. r_neupert

r_neupert PetForums Senior

If they want to chew, chew spray is hopeless i'm afraid. Tried them all, apart from Bitter Apple, which i didn't find in my pet shop. Worth a try, but may not work.

Also as Poisongirl mentioned - carpet eaters = disaster. Again i'm proof. Indy nearly had an operation from it.

I probably haven't dealt with it in the best way, however as i don't really have a "safe" area without carpet that's suitable, i've resorted to making her wear a Baskerville muzzle when we're out for her safety. It's not a long term solution, and i wouln't advise it really for long periods, because we're never away for too long. However until i move into a more pet friendly house, she'll have to deal with that.

I would first try a combination of an anti chew spray and doggy entertainment such as a Kong before you do anything else. Make sure the dog is all walked out as well so they're more likely to nap instead.

5. Colliepoodle

Colliepoodle PetForums VIP

You should start off by telling your mother that "getting rid" of a dog because it chews things is pretty irresponsible and nasty.

6. katie200

katie200 PetForums VIP

thanks for all your help ill try everything youve said and i think my mum was just a little mad but now all is forgiven and well try agan than good ness

7. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

we bought a rug so my pup could chew that then when he stopped chewing it we threw it away, he tried once to give the carpet a scratch and we told him our command for 'get ya little paws off of that' and he did no problems
    I know a girl with a lab which chewed her skirting borads to bits - he eventually grew out of it when he could be walked properly - it is probably frustration based but moreso a phase he will grow out of :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice