Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Steph34, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Steph34

Steph34 PetForums Newbie

Hello,
    My name stephanie, I have only joined today and was wondering if anyone can help. I have a 2 and half year old jack russel who is really badly behaved. He is constantly going to the toilet in the house, even a few minutes after returning from a walk. Also he only goes to the toilet on soft things i.e. clothes, blankets, beds etc. I am constantly shouting at him, but he just keeps doing it.Does anyone know why he would do this?and how I can stop him from going to the toilet in the house?
    Please help

2. Pam/Holly

Pam/Holly PetForums Senior

Hi you really needed to post this thread in the dog section as it will not be seen here.
    You say your Jack Russell is two and a half years old has he always done this or has he started this behaviour recently? Has something changed in his routine that could have unsettled him?

3. FREE SPIRIT

FREE SPIRIT PetForums VIP

Hiya and welcome :D

4. Vixie

Vixie PetForums VIP

I have moved your threat to the dog section as you will have more replies here :)

5. Buggles

Buggles PetForums Senior

It might be worth getting him to the vets. He could have a bladder infection or something.

6. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

Is he neutered?

7. Steph34

Steph34 PetForums Newbie

No he has always done this, its not just urinating he is also doing No.2's on clothes and or beds etc. He is not neutured and I was considering this option but have decided not to as a few people have said that it can make dogs nasty and might not even help the situation. I also have two other dogs an 12yr old yorkshire terror and my dogs mummy also a jack russel who is 5. None of my other dogs do this. If anyone can give me sugestions on ways to stop this, that would be great.
    Thank you

8. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

It *could* be marking. I am not going to say 'get him neutered it will solve it' because no one knows for sure.

BUT- my firned has a jrt. he started peeing all over the house, in my house, everywhere! His mum said she wouldno longer look after the dog while he is at work unles he sorts it as she has ocd. He got his dog neutered and since then has only weed once in my house, and once in his mums house.

Once you have the vet check him for any medical problems, then basically you just need to re-toilet train him.
    Shouting will not help. It will probably make him nervous. Do you crate him? Or does he have a specific area you can have him where he won't pee?
    Think of him as you would a little puppy, take him out to toilet immediately after sleep, play and every half hour or so.
    Stay with him until he goes (both), yes it might take hours but it will work. Treat him as soon as he goes, give him loads of fuss.
    Don't give him any oppurtunities to pee inside, it will be far quicker to get him to realise peeing outside is great! Just ignore any mess he makes indoor's calmly put him out and clean it with biological washing powder.

xx

ps have never heard of neutering making a dog nasty, I always thought it more likely to calm them down as stops the hormones.

9. Buggles

Buggles PetForums Senior

I would still take him to the vets to get him checked out, even if he has always been like this.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice