Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by fwj01, Aug 4, 2009.

1. fwj01

fwj01 PetForums Junior

I have applied for Job Seekers Allowance. They have took that I applied for 'contributional JSA', now they say I havent paid enough national insurance to qualify for it. I am only 19 and have been in school, got my GCSE's and Alevels, and started uni. I left uni and started to look for a job at the worst time possible!!

How could i have had a full time job in the middle of all that? I could only manage 3 part time jobs.

I live with my boyfriend, and the take that as a 'civil partnership' ????

One woman said she thinks I qualify for it and anither said I won't.

Im SO confused!!! And angry! I'ts not like I'm not looking for work (as many don't when they are on it, the job centre woman told me...) I apply for at least 4 jobs every day, and get nowhere!! =/

Any ideas on anything else I can apply for? It's all getting too much for my boyfriend to pay for everything

HELP!!!! :confused:

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I believe everyone qualifies for some sort of benefit, regardless of NI contributions.

It might not be JSA, but something else. Might be an idea to have a word with the CAB.

3. Akai-Chan

Akai-Chan Banned

There are 2 kinds. Contribution based and income based. I am on income based because I have no income :)

If you have no other form of income, you should be eligible.

If you live with your partner and he is working and earns over a certain amount you may not be eligible for it (Or only be eligible for a certain amount and not the full amount)

If you are eligible for it you should also be eligible for housing benefit.

I'd advise going into the job centre and asking to have an interview with an advisor as you wish to sign on for income based JSA.

Peace
    Akai-Chan

4. fwj01

fwj01 PetForums Junior

I have been to the job centre, and had an interview. That's why im so confused! One said yeah you will have it and the other one said no...

I don't know what to do if I do not qualify for it! I want to know what else is out there, as I have never been in this situation before.

5. Akai-Chan

Akai-Chan Banned

If you are on low/no income and are actively searching for jobs, you should be able to get income based.

Does your partner have a job?

If he does, the amount you get may be affected but you should still be able to recieve some. When you fill in the form you'll have to do it as a joint claim to delcare how much he earns.

If you are able to get income based JSA you are also able to get housing benefit.

Otherwise go into the jobcentre and talk to the person atthe front about what you may be able to get. I don't know your specific circumstances so I don't know what else you may be elegible for.

Peace
    Akai-Chan

6. fwj01

fwj01 PetForums Junior

My boyfriend has a job, and earns a little above the limit on the JSA...

But I don't understand how that affects my eligibility for JSA! I have no income, and don't like depending on him for all the money! It's MY claim afterall, not his... =/

I am able and looking for work every day to the point where it frustrates me! lol

I have filled the forms in the job centre, now it's a waiting game to see if i qualify or not :cursing:

7. Akai-Chan

Akai-Chan Banned

Yeah but if you live with him they say 'well if he's earning above x amount then he should be able to support you with that. The government says you need a certain amount to live on per week. It's a really stupid system I know and they're trying to make it harder for you to get on JSA nowadays anyway >_<

Hope it works out for you!

Peace
    Akai-Chan

8. fwj01

fwj01 PetForums Junior

Stupid government =/

Why wont they try live off like £300 a week, and support their girlfriend, pay rent, rates, food, dog food, fuel money... It's stupid!

Argh...

Thank you for talking =] :)

9. vickie1985

vickie1985 PetForums VIP

they wouldnt give me a penny as my partner works.....and supposidly earns more than enough to keep us both alive.

the amount they say a couple needs to live on is stupidly low and its not really possiable! but nothing i could do. lucky for me i got a 10 hour a week cleaning job, its not much money, but it really does help.

10. EmzieAngel

EmzieAngel PetForums VIP

All I can say is the Job Centre is complete ******** lol.

Now that I've ever applied, but my mum had to live on £60 a week (single mother, with two children living at home), which would have to cover shopping, bills, and alsorts, luckily we managed to cope, but it's still ridiculous, luckily now she's working again, with kind of the same company that made her redundant. (Basically the director set up a new company and employed most of his old staff)

11. SeaThreePeeO

SeaThreePeeO PetForums VIP

Just to let you know there a bit of a backlog where JSA is concerned so some applications are taking longer then usual.

12. Akai-Chan

Akai-Chan Banned

Guess I must be lucky then cos I was under 18 whn I first claimed and it went through within a couple of days. Though adviser has a lot to do with it cos my adviser really pushed my claim through.

For single under 25's the amouint they giev you to live on is £50.95 a week i think? It's ninety something for couples.

Peace
    Akai-Chan

13. owieprone

owieprone PetForums VIP

wow it's gone up some since i was on jobseekers then! i think i got 16 quid a week it was definately under £20. it was about 15 year ago tho lol

14. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Before I had my first job I had job seekers INCOME based.

Now I'm applying for job seekers CONTRIBUTION based.

You will be eligible for the first one :)

15. sammyben

sammyben Guest

When I first left college and before I found a job, I tried getting jobseekers allowance but as I lived with my hubby (then boyfriend) at the time...they told me I wasn't entitled to any as he was earning too much!!! x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice