Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by .kt88., Mar 3, 2021.

1. .kt88.

.kt88. PetForums Newbie

Hey everyone! I've just joined you and hoping for some advice and hopefully not too many negative comments.

We have a cross breed dog, Jack Russell size, he's 6 months old and is turning into a complete nightmare, I'm pulling my hair out! He gets walked everyday and spends alot of time in the garden watching the bird etc. But my god when he's inside it's horrendous! He doesn't listen at all, chases the cat, nips the kids, gets up on the dining room table, jumps up constantly, cries when I go upstairs, barks at the neighbour, howls the place down when I dare to leave the house. I honestly could just sit and cry sometimes, where have i gone wrong?! We trained him to be left alone when I was out doing the school run and would go shopping after etc. So from 8 til 11ish and he was absolutely fine and we've carried this on through lockdown, he would just sleep the morning away. We have a stair gate to separate him when he's being too much to calm him down. I've done recall, and other things with him but it's literally just all gone to pot, everything I've done and all the time I've put into him has been pointless because he's turned into this disobeident naughty dog.
    Am I not cut out to have a dog or have I gone wrong somewhere!
    Friendly advice welcome.. please!

2. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

Sounds like his hormones have kicked in and he's turned into a naughty teenager!
    Go back to basics, treat him as a new puppy who doesn't know anything and needs to be taught by you what the right thing to do is. I would also make sure he's getting plenty of mental stimulation via enrichment games, training, some play, but also down time. He needs to learn to chill out so have a spot for him that's super cosy and quiet (a crate is perfect for this, but you could use a pen or even another room with a baby gate to separate him) and once he's had his mental and physical exercise go and pop him in his calm place with a nice stuffed Kong or long lasting chew and encourage him to chill out while you get on with things.
    When he's in the garden is he constantly running around chasing things? If he's not chilling out but has constant stimulation that's your problem, he needs down time to function properly, if he's on the go with stuff going on all the time he will never stop.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice