Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help!

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Kerry Wright, Feb 17, 2021.

1. Kerry Wright

Kerry Wright PetForums Newbie

Hello there!

I need some advice.

I live in a ground floor flat and above me is a couple with a rather vicious dog.. we both got our pets as babies, and they both nearly a year old.

I've started letting my cat out.. however he walks the dog with out a lead and on 3 occasions I've had to run out the back to rescue my cat (I have to go through the front door, through the main door and run to where they are)

The owner never uses a lead and the dog barks viciously.

I'm getting a cat flap in the window in 2 weeks but my cat just doesn't want to stay in, I was hoping after the first attack I could keep him in but he's not interested and wants to go out.. which is fair enough.

I really don't know what to do and would love some advice.

Thank you in advance x

2. Lunarags

Lunarags PetForums Member

I cant offer much advice but i can offer reassurance that in a cat vs dog fight, the cat will often come out on top. They are very agile and will be vicious when they need to. They are NOT afraid to scratch and bite

3. Lunarags

Have you spoken to the doggy neighbours about it?

4. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

I think that very much depends on the dog and its intentions, I certainly wouldn't be wanting to put it to the test.
    From my days as a dog owner it certainly used to be against the law to walk a dog off lead on a public highway so I would have a word with the dog owner making them aware of this.
    If they refuse to take any notice do you have a local dog warden or similar you could ask to have a word with them about keeping their dog under control.
    In the mean time I would seriously consider whether allowing your cat out unsupervised is wise as this dog may not be the only one out off lead .

jill3, lorilu, ewelsh and 2 others like this.
  5. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

I would never let my cat out in such a situation. And I certainly wouldn't simply think the cat would "come out on top". The cat is just as likely to be torn to shreds. It is your responsibility to keep your cat safe. Keep him inside and enrich his indoor environment. Harness train him and take him out that way, when the dog is not out. Communicate with the neighbor so you can take the cat out safely.

6. Kerry Wright

Hi Rlouise,

Thank you for your feedback.

Yes I have mentioned it twice as I know his partner has, shes very good and always brings him down on a lead. It happened twice when I first started letting him out and hasn't happened again until yesterday, I did snap a little given that the first 2 times it happened I was calm and took the cat away calmly and went through the front entrance but now it's happened again I do feel nervous about it. I think I'll have a chat.

7. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

If you can’t keep your cat inside then all you can do now is ask the man to please put the dog on a lead, then back it up with dogs should be on a lead full stop. Stick up a notice in the flats by the door if you have to.

I have cats and dogs, yes my cats rule MY dogs in MY home and MY gardens BUT....I know my dogs would and could kill a strange cat, it’s the thrill of the chase instincts like cats and mice. My dogs are not classed as threatening dogs either Labrador, English Springer, Parsons, West-highland terrier. Be careful. I hope you can resolve this.

lorilu and buffie like this.
  8. Kerry Wright

Hi everyone,

Thank you all for your feedback.

I think I will have a calm chat with my neighbour as I don't want to cause tension between us or keep my cat in as he loves being outside.

Your comments have been helpful.

Thank you.

ewelsh likes this.
  9. Lunarags

It appears i have been misunderstood, probably my own fault. When i said 'fight' i was really referring to a face-off, and coming out on top to me meant coming out of the situation relatively unharmed, not actually murdering the dog. I can see that this was very poor wording indeed. All I meant was that if a cat feels threatened their instincts tell them to either flee or hiss and make themselves appear threatening enough so scare their potential attacker away, and in many situations, although not all situations by a long shot, this is enough to prevent them from serious injury from a dog. Of course if the cat was stupid enough to actually fight the dog in hand-to-hand combat the cat would be breakfast. I agree that the dog needs to be on a lead and it is obviously not safe for the cat.

#9 Lunarags, Feb 18, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2021
    Kerry Wright likes this.
  10. Kerry Wright

I am going to go outside for now with my cat when I have time as I work in the day at home until I can speak to my neighbour calmly as I do feel anxious, thank you for the feedback

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice