Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help !!!!!

Discussion in 'Small Animal Chat' started by ....zoe...., Jul 27, 2009.

1. ....zoe....

....zoe.... PetForums VIP

please help me

i have taken the remaining baby from my syrian as she had abandoned 2 but one died due to dehydration and not being fed for a few days

so i toke the baby as i believe it will have a better chance i i have a go at hand rearing it myself as with the mum it would either get eaten (like the other 4) or die of starvation and dehydration.

so far i have given it a small amount of new born baby sma milk (warmed up) and fed through a syringe

it is now in a soak in a small tub on a heat mat

i plan to get up and fed it every hour during the night, would this be too much food, shall i fed every 2 hours instead ???

please please help
    any advice is helpful

2. tashi

tashi PetForums VIP

trying to find someone that can help you but will bump this back to the top ;)

3. Akai-Chan

Akai-Chan Banned

Get up every hour just to check on it just in case and feed if there is no milk band on it's tummy. You'll know when it;s full because it wil;l stop suckling.

I would also recommend buying some kitten or puppy milk like lactol and warm it as this has more nutrients etc in for helping them grown.

Don't forget to stimulate its bits so it goes to the loo :)

I'd suggest you put the baby in whatever container half on a heat mat and half off so if it gets too warm it can crawl off, just lay a tea towel over the entire floor.

Hope this helps!

Peace
    Akai-Chan

#3 Akai-Chan, Jul 28, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2009
  4. ....zoe....

well im working tomorrow so will get some pupppy lactol milk, what is the band on the belly ?

tried to stimulate it to go to loo earlier but nothing seemed to happen :confused:

at the moment it on a heat mat and has a soak to cuddle up in

5. Akai-Chan

Akai-Chan Banned

y9ou know their belly is pink? when it is full of milk, it turns white across the tummy. That is the milk band. If there's no milk band then they aren't eating it properly. Wait a couple of minutes after feeding before stimulating and stimulate with a warm, damp cotton bud.

Peace
    Akai-Chan

6. ....zoe....

okie dokie, shal go and try stimulate again then, probably done it too soon after feeding.

will also check to see how pink/white the belly is :)

thanks for the advice

7. Akai-Chan

Akai-Chan Banned

Let me know how it goes and good luck ^_^

Peace
    Akai-Chan

8. ....zoe....

well it's ate a bit more and had a poo, has a nice white band on the belly now and it back tucked up in the sock :)

9. Akai-Chan

Akai-Chan Banned

Good work :) Keep at it, check every hour to make sure he's ok and update again tomorrow ^_^

Peace
    Akai-Chan

10. ....zoe....

yep will do, shall be a long night tonight lol and then he will be coming to work with me in the afternoon.

luckily i work in a pet shop so they will understand and will be helpful also :D

hope everyone else has a good night lol :eek: :(

11. Teddybearr

Teddybearr PetForums Newbie

Also, remember to not over feed the baby or feed him too fast. I have hand raised a pair of 3 day old orphan mice from my most recent litter and they both grew up strong.

I don't know how different that is for hamsters, but goodluck! Sounds like you're doing a great job already :)

12. ....zoe....

well i fed it at around half 2 last nite and then checked on it thoughout the night, it still had the white band until half 6 so just had more food and another poo.

havent seen it wee yet though :confused:

13. Teddybearr

Try using a damp cotton ball and rubbing it just below his abdomen to stimulate him. If he doesn't go you could try stimulate him before, and after every feeding.

If he still doesn't go after a few tries then he could be dehydrated.

14. ....zoe....

he was pretty dehydrated when i toke him/her from the nest last night, so maybe thats why it hasnt been going yet.

will try on the next feed stimulating before and after

15. Teddybearr

You can also try feeding him a little more then you are. Just make sure you don't overfeed him.
    You can usually tell when bubbles of the formula come out of their nose, which can be bad.

Best of luck!:)

16. ....zoe....

ok feeding is going well and it's a lot more active than it was when i toke it last night :)

although i have just noticed that t seems to be having dirrohea, is this normal / likely ???

17. Marcia

Marcia PetForums VIP

I'm affraid that it's not normal. Alot of people will think that pups will have soft poos but they shouldn't. The poo should be firm and not liquid at all.

How old is the pup now?

18. ....zoe....

the poos are getting slightly better now as hes been having lactol milk (as i got it from work this morning, also got a very good feeding syringe that hes actually suckling on aswel)

he is 8 days old today

why would he be having runny poos. is it due to the human sma baby milk that he had to have last night ???

19. ....zoe....

also hes starting weeing every time i stimulate him now :)

20. Akai-Chan

Akai-Chan Banned

That's all brilliant news ^_^ It might be that the SMA didn;t have the right sort of nutrients etc in it. The lactol has all the right stuff in itfor growing animals.

Glad he's pulling through ^_^

Peace
    Akai-Chan

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice