Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help!

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Douglas 1990, May 3, 2019.

1. Douglas 1990

Douglas 1990 PetForums Newbie

Hi I've never wrote on one of these before so here goes , my female border collie had a litter last September all pups were rehomed at 8/9 weeks all doing excellent apart from 1, I've found out that the owner of 1 pup works 12 hour shifts and leaves the pup alone he has ripped up everything and chewed everything , she has openly admitted to me that she can't be bothered to walk the dog when she gets home from work and that she's had to smack him for being bad , he has had giardia 3 times in the last 5 months , she won't send me Updated photos or let me see him , I am very concerned , I want to go and take him back and rehome him somewhere more suitable for his needs , so I guess I'm asking what are my legal rights if any? And what kind of trouble would I get into for just going over and removing the dog myself , hope someone can help me here thanks in advance

2. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

I don't know the answer but I imagine the first thing anyone who can help will need to know is whether there was a contract and if so, what it said.

Lurcherlad and Douglas 1990 like this.
  3. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

I'm afraid you have no legal rights.

Once a pup is in the possession of the new owner, he ceases to be yours.

If you go and forcefully remove the dog, then that is theft.

It sounds very much as though this owner has no time for the dog and may even regret having bought him in the first place.

If it were me, I would ask her if she is willing to turn him over to you and even offer her some money, if she's reluctant.

Lurcherlad, Douglas 1990 and O2.0 like this.
  4. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Yes, start with whatever your puppy buyer contract says.
    From there I would suggest just keeping the lines of communication open. Offer to take the pup back, and I agree, you may have to offer money, which would be worth it just to ensure the pup is okay.

Lurcherlad and Douglas 1990 like this.
  5. Douglas 1990

Thanks for the reply, it's horrible I feel so helpless I've even thought of just stealing him and rehoming him straight away and deny it if anyone turns up at my door , I'm not a breeder this was an accidental litter of gorgeous collie pups it upsets me thinking he's sitting in a flat alone for so long with no garden to even run about in, I was told she had a garden worked short shifts had access to farmland to walk him etc,

6. Douglas 1990

I would happily offer her all her money back but I really don't think she will accept she was moaning saying oh he's worth £800 now from the money she's spent at the vets on his infections

7. Douglas 1990

There wasn't a contract in place I researched as much as I could but I never even thought of a contract it was just a verbal agreement that if any of the pups needed regimes they would come back to me and I would regime them to suitable people

8. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Start by offering to take the pup back and just see how it goes from there.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice