UK Pet Forums Forum banner
371 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Lurcherlad 
#1 ·
Hello, I have a almost 1 year old beagle. He is very troublesome.
I live in a small country called Guatemala. It seems that dog trainers are not common here. He lives outside because he sheds a lot, potty's a lot and is VERY active. I know beagles are very outside-active dogs. Without knowing, my mom and I purchased the dog. Irresponsible choice. I really like him, but we don't have a lot of time together. These days, he pulls down the drying clothes outside and sometimes urinates on them. He howls when we leave him. This makes my mom very stressed and angry. It got to the point of physical reinforcement (I know dogs don't know the reason of the hits but I can't stop my mom). Still, my dog wouldn't get it. She very often threatens to throw away/ give away the pup. I want to help this bud but time and knowledge of training is very hard to obtain. Sometimes even I think of giving away is the best choice for us and him. But still, I can't think of someone who wants a dog.
I don't know. Please help. I love this dog a lot.

#2 ·
Your dog is lonely, bored, untrained and now scared and anxious from being punished.

Look at positively.com and kikopup for training tips and start spending more time keeping him active and entertained and training him to settle happily alone when he has to be.

I imagine things like Kongs and toys are in short supply so make him some toys such as an old towel tied into a knot and play fetch and tug with him. Large raw knuckle bones to knaw on will keep him occupied when he’s alone. Cooked bones are not suitable for dogs.

Split his food into breakfast and dinner so he doesn’t get hungry and has more variety in his day.

Beagles are very intelligent dogs and without mental and physical stimulation will find their own entertainment.

If you can, use a collar and lead and take him for walks for pleasure/stimulation.

Dogs don’t respond to punishment because they don’t understand why. It could make a dog so anxious it resorts to protect itself or simply shut down :(

Once you’ve checked out those websites explain to your mother how counterproductive her aggression towards the dog and the punishments are and encourage everyone to participate in his training using positive, reward based methods.

Create a secure area for him (with shelter, bed, water) for the times he needs to be out of harm’s way. Such as when the washing is on the line to avoid sources of tension with your mother. Set the dog up for success.

If you can’t do any of the above look for a rescue who might be able to help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.