Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help !!!

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Katie Thompson, Nov 20, 2018.

1. Katie Thompson

Katie Thompson PetForums Newbie

hello, so I don’t normally ask for advice on the internet but I really need help. Me and my boyfriend have a mini lop, we’ve had her since May this year from a reputable breeder and she’s been perfect up until a few weeks ago (minus the odd chew and ripping up the carpet on the occasion) however, I literally cannot let her out of her cage without her TEARING the carpet up, any part she can get at and chewing everything apart from the toys and chew sticks we’ve got her. She isn’t spade, but we’ve tried everything !! The anti chew sprays, she has lots of toys, plenty of food and veg, constant attention (she loves being stroked and handled), I’ve tried rewarding her for good behaviour with treats, we’ve also tried her outside but she chews the outside cage to shreds also and I really don’t know what to do, if anyone has advice (except from spade her) pleeeease help, I can’t take her out of her cage for long anymore because she’s so naughty

2. Corneal

Corneal Cornealia

she needs spaying. she has hit her teenage moody age where her hormones have come in full speed ahead with making a nest for her non existant babies. unspayed and un-nuetered rabbits only think about one thing, sex. she is destroying your stuff because she is feeling a bit hyper and has lots of enegy. spay her and this will go away.

there is nothing you can do. spay her. did you know that unspayed female rabbits have and 80% chance of getting ovarian cancer 80!

Katie Thompson likes this.
  3. bunnygeek

bunnygeek PetForums Senior

I've found the most destructive bunnies are also the most intelligent - think like a Border Collie who need constant brain games. It makes sense, my big white boy in my avatar is definitely a few sandwiches short of a picnic and doesn't really chew anything he shouldn't.

For your girl, more space outside of the cage will actually help as otherwise frustration is just going to build and build for her. Build a larger bunny proofed pen if you can, you could use off-cut flooring to protect your carpets, just make sure it's non-slip. Unspayed does are built to dig, it's instinctive for them, so you just have to divert this to her having digging boxes. You can fill these with hay, with earth, even with children's play sand, but it will get kicked everywhere and she'll have a whale of a time!

Going back to the intelligence thing, you need to have a toy box for her with a selection of things for her to chew up and throw around, change her toys at least twice a day so there's always something "new".

Rabbits are like toddlers when it comes to areas or things they can't have, it just makes them want those things or to get to those things MORE. The way I stopped my old boy from throwing his gate around to get out of the bedroom was to take the gate away, no barriers, he chilled right out and stopped wanting to escape so much! You need to do some very thorough bunny proofing.

Katie Thompson likes this.
  4. Noreenjahangir

Noreenjahangir PetForums Junior

Mine was chewing and pulling at my jumper. Bought this mat online think its called a chewing mat for rabbits. May help. Also a gnawing toy may help

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice