Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Westdale, Jul 7, 2009.

1. Westdale

Westdale PetForums Newbie

Hello,

After much thought and consideration we took the plunge decided to get a puppy and brought her home last Saturday. However I'm now wondering to myself what have we done, we have a 6 year old who the pup nipped on the ankle and now wont move off the settee, seriously she won't entertain the thought of moving and if she does, she climbs over the arm and moves practically runs out the door. We can see she desperately wants to play with the pup she's too apprehensive and I simply don't know what to do.

She's a beautiful puppy - named Jess - and I'm already attached to her, she comes and sits on my feet when I'm in the kitchen but my overriding thoughts are for my daughter - what happens if she can't get used to Jess however much she tries. My daughter comes first and always will, so I'm feeling at a complete loss on what to do. Quite honestly at the moment I'm thinking we've made a huge mistake and I don't know what to do. Do we hope my daughter comes around? What happens if she doesn't? It can't be fair on the dog to get attached to us only to find herself rehomed months down the line.

I've considered calling the person we purchased her from and asking if she had anyone else interested so we can call them and they can give the dog a home - she was a Kennel Club pup so not cheap but the money certainly isn't a factor in this.

I'd appreciate your thoughts

Thanks

#1 Westdale, Jul 7, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2009
  2. rona

rona Guest

The decision is obviously yours, this puppy will continue to nip for some considerable time yet, it is just what puppies do.
    If you think you cannot somehow get past this stage with your daughter and the puppy then call the breeder as you say sooner rather than later.
    Can you not think of a way around the problem until the puppy is through this stage? Can you not keep them separate unless you are there to supervise?

3. The pup was merely trying to incite play! I am assuming that your daughter was maybe running at the time!

Please give this a little time as this is a trait that they soon grow out of!

Welcome to the forum by the way!

4. kristy

kristy PetForums Member

Hi, sorry to hear your having problems,have a look at this, Teaching Bite Inhibition - Blog - fun4fido - clicker training for dogs maybe if you learn your dog bite inhibition it may help with him not biteing as hard if he learns how to controll it, also try and get your daughter involved in the training maybe,then she may feel a little more confident and may help build a bond between them.
    dont leave your daughter and the puppy together on their own.
    cant really offer anything else but good luck and i hope things work out.
    if you do have to rehome your pup then please go back to the breeder and ask them for help rather than just sell him on, i know if it were one of my pups i would help you in every way possible and im sure the breeder will be only to happy to help you.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice