Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help!

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Amzy, Jul 6, 2009.

1. Amzy

Amzy PetForums Junior

Hi there!

I have 2 cats, Chillie (4) and Phoenix (2).
    I volunteer for cats protections and have had 4 kittens recently as a fosterer.
    2 kittens have gone to new homes and 1 of them we are keeping however!
    My bf and I have been discussing keeping the 2 kittens.
    We would have 4 cats all together and 2 kittens at the same time!
    I have few things on my mind that I would like other peoples thoughts on!

Firstly! My babies have a litter tray obviously and they are happy to share, I cant have 4 sharing )can you imagine the que to the litter tray in the morning!) lol! So im going to get another one but will they all be ok with that!?

What if the kittens go in the big cats tray? Will the be ticked off!?

I should metion that we are thinking of keeping the 2 kittens as they have got on very well with our original babies!

Just now the kittens stay in our spare room at night (its big) and when im at work becauyse they are just 10 wks and lots of trouble so right now its not an issue!

Secondly food! I want them all to have a balnced diet (dry food and wet food) but with 4 kittens I dont want it to be too expensive!

What would you recommed and is there somewhere I can buy in bulk and have it delivered!?

Also what is a good litter? We use catsan at the moment but its expensive and doesnt stay clean for long seems to smell very quickly even with very regular poop removal!

What do people think about keeping 4 cats in general!?

Im just a bit torn! 3 seems ok but 4 seems so much more! even tho its only 1 more!

My 2 are indoor cats and these ones will be as well!

I live in a nice sized 2 bed flat, with a big garden and no kids.

I know I have gone on a bit but some advice would be great!

2. badbudgie

badbudgie PetForums Member

I personally don't think that 4 cats is too many, I would like more than my 2 but OH is a definate "NO!!!"

As for good quality wet food I have recently moved over to Tesco Luxury Cat Food, it's over 50% real chicken and it's £3.91 for 12 pouches.

Only you know your situation and as you work for the Cats Protection you probably have a better idea what is acceptable...

3. Amzy

Amzy PetForums Junior

Thanks!

I know that its "ok" to keep 4 cats and they are well looked after.

I just wanted some feedback on what others thought lol!

Tesco food....mmmmm ill give that a try! Do they have like a fish one?

My cats are more fishy than meaty! lol

4. coonie girl

coonie girl PetForums Junior

5. Mr Gizmo

Mr Gizmo Body of a Buddah.

We are in the process of moving over our Candy to the tesco luxury food and she seems to like it,and yes they do a fishy range as well.:thumbup:

#5 Mr Gizmo, Jul 6, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2009
  6. Mr Gizmo

Mr Gizmo Body of a Buddah.

7. mypets

mypets PetForums Senior

I recentley have 2 pregnant cats, i other female and did till yesterday have a male cat..(not the father of the kittens)..as i rehome cats too..I thought omg 4 in the house but it was ok...they only had 1 big litter tray to share and it wasnt a problem..
    The house didnt smell or anything..so was all good..

I feed them on felix kitten pouches, (for the mums to be) and normal felix for the other girl..not really that pricey, as i find its good quality..

so 4 would be fine...as for your other questions, il let someone else answer them...

8. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Have you actually looked at the ingredients on the packet - Felix is between 4 and 8% meat and the rest is fillers etc that a cat can't digest - so you effectively pay for your cat to poop it all out again! All 92% of it!!!!!:eek: If you can afford it (and itdoesn't cost that much more) I would seriously recommend getting your girls onto a higher quality food of at least 50% meat - cats are after all carnivors.

9. Amzy

Amzy PetForums Junior

In all honesty untill today I really didnt realise the poor nutritional value in felix and whiskars cat food!

I knew they werent brilliant but look at what is in them and the shockingly low meat content its actually appauling!

People including myself probs just think oh its a brand cat name it must be ok!

10. Dozymoo

Dozymoo PetForums VIP

I admit that Cleo was on was on whiskas until I came on this forum, but she started to turn her nose up at it. I always thought it was a good option because of the advertising and because it was a bit pricier than the supermarkets own brand. :eek: Turns out it's no different to the bog standard.

After reading what the meat content is like I stopped buying it, and we tried a few different tester pouches and tins with her. We ended up sticking with HiLife tins and pouches. Plus I think it's actually better value for money because I don't have to throw away what she refuses to eat! :rolleyes:;);)

And Cleo couldn't be happier (although she still will only eat the fishy ones!) :):)

11. mypets

mypets PetForums Senior

That is your opinion, My girls are quite happy on felix thankyou...:rolleyes:

12. spid

spid PetForums VIP

True and yours is yours. Only trying to offer a bit of advice, not required to take it.

13. munchbunch

munchbunch PetForums VIP

Hi. I started with two cats & now have five!! Four or five sounds a lot, but once you've got to three, another one or two don't seem to make much difference to be honest, lol!! Two of my cats are Ragdolls which are pretty big, so I don't actually use litter trays - I use the big plastic rectangular storage boxes, (not the very high sided ones) & they get on fine with them, no squabbles even when there was a kitten, everyone shares & rarely go at the same time! They've also got plenty of room to move 'round in them. I use Costco's Litter Purrfect which was recommended to me by friends with multicat households & there's three of us (households) using it now, all really happy with it. It comes in huge 13.6kg containers, is a hard clumping litter with natural lemongrass essence & baking soda in it. It lasts for ages 'cos it's scoopable: you just scoop the poop & wees, & top up the tray when needed. It's reasonably priced, especially 'cos it lasts so long & it doesn't smell either, lol! Gosh you'd think I worked for them - should be on commission!!

With regard to food, you said that you want to give them a balanced diet of wet & dry food. Most dry food is completely balanced to be used on its own - if you throw in regular wet food, you could end up with porky cats, lol! I personally prefer dry food as it's more hygenic & is good for their teeth. I give them an occasional pouch or white fish, but apart from licking the gravy of the pouch up, they'd rather have the dry food. My youngest cat was on wet kitten food & all of a sudden turned his nose up at it & decided he wanted the dry like the grown ups & has never gone back! You can buy premium dry food at a good price & have it delivered free from North West Pets who are based in Blackpool - I buy the huge breeders bags & it works out much cheaper for quality food. All cats are different & it depends what yours prefer. If you do go for wet food, I'd agree with Dozymoo - Highlife is a good wet food in tins or pouches with a high meat content - you can see & smell the difference. While they're still kittens, I think you're better to stick with wet food.

After all that, yes, go for the four - you'll regret it if you don't (the "we should of" syndrome, lol). My cats are all indoor cats too. I'd invest in a big climbing frame to keep them occupied & prevent them scratching your furniture! Mine love them. If you can, go to a cat show if there are any reasonable sized ones where you live. You can get some great toys/scratchers etc for your kitties, plus you can usually buy cat food at special show prices. Have a look at the GCCF site for dates & venues of shows by you.

Good luck - sure they'll give you lots of love and fun!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice