Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

help

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by gavloz1, Jul 5, 2009.

1. gavloz1

gavloz1 PetForums Newbie

Hi am new to this forum usual on the repile bit, just wondered if anyone could tell me a good kitten milk. What has happened is that my cat had 4 lovely kittens yesterday morning, all fighting fit, but as the day went on the first born a gorgeous ginger one got very weak, don't know why as it had been feeding all the time and this morning i got up to find that it had died. I'm not sure if the mum is not interested as when i got up this morning i found the remaining kittens alone and quite breathless as if thirsty, i got the mum put her back in with them and stayed with her until they latched on they seem fine but i need to know what kind of milk i can be feeding the kittens IF the mother starts to reject the remaining kittens, i can see this happening as she is only just 12 months her self i just want to be ready in case something does happen

thanks in advance

2. Dozymoo

Dozymoo PetForums VIP

Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear about the kitten you lost. I hope the rest start to get better soon. Cimicat is a very popular brand milk replacement. A lot of people I have spoken to use it. You should be able to get some from your vets or perhaps a larger type pet superstore?

Have you weighed the kittens? I would do that asap and then weigh them at the same time each day, just to make sure they are getting enough milk and are gaining weight. If they don't start gaining weight, I'd take them all to the vet for a check up.

I'm sure Mum will be fine though. She's new and inexperienced.Just keep your eye on her and if she leaves the kittens for a long period again, pop her back and sit with her. She's hopefully just looking for some extra reassurance.

I hope that helps xx

3. lizward

lizward PetForums VIP

I very much doubt if this is due to any problem with Mum, it's more likely to be a problem with the kitten. What do you mean by "breathless"? If you mean they kept opening their mouths, that is perfectly normal, they are hissing at you.

Liz

4. gavloz1

gavloz1 PetForums Newbie

what i meant by that was like panting type of thing, when i put them back with there mum and eventually got them to suckle again they were fine, its like as if there were really thirsty or hungry, you see i am not sure how long they were left over night by their mum, i have been watching them all and she seems ok for the minute but will keep my eye on them thanks for your help

5. mypets

mypets PetForums Senior

I use Lactol..plus you would need a
    kitten feeding set, which contains a bottle and teats...get that from pets at homes..

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice