Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Chinchillas' started by Ada Dmt, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Ada Dmt

Ada Dmt PetForums Newbie

Hello guys! I need help with my chinchilla and maybe some of you can help me or give me some advice. In my country I didn't find a vet that know what to do with this type of pet.
    Yesterday my mom let my Chinchilla to play in the bathroom for half an hour, and when she returned my chin stood still which was very weird. She leaned to one side, almost fainted. Later she was trembling and having spasms.
    She tried to jump in her cage like usual but she could not jump or orientate at all.
    I took her to the vet and he gave her some vitamins. She seems better now but still won't jump and she eats very little. What happened to her? This is the first time she has something like this.

2. mrs phas

mrs phas my home, my sofa, my rules

was she being watched whilst she was in the bathroom?
    if not it could be anything that might be stored in there, that a chin could get to and chew
    bleach? toilet cleaner? shampoo? bath/shower bubbles, just a bit of plastic ? chins do and will chew anything and never believe that a chin cannot leap high enough to reach something
    or
    it could be as simple as her over exerting herself and going into hypoglycemic shock, try giving her ONE QUARTER of a raisin only, it may be enough to bring her blood sugar up

what do you feed her?

#2 mrs phas, Mar 7, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    Ada Dmt likes this.
  3. Arny

Arny PetForums Member

Sounds like she had a seizure, could be from over heating or low blood sugar. An hour is too long to let run around. For now don't let her run at all, if she improves only let her out for 20 mins max, too much running around is not good for a chinchilla and some chins are prone to seizures more than others.

Is she eating on her own yet?

Ada Dmt likes this.
  4. Ada Dmt

Ada Dmt PetForums Newbie

She was not supervised while she was in the bathroom, but my mother looked after and said there was nothing she could eat there that could hurt her. We are very careful about the things that are in the bathroom when we let her play there.
    I was feeding her with pellets and hay at the beginning. We also give her a mix which is more for Guinea Pigs(Cavie GrandMix) and Ola standard. My mum give her treats sometimes(raisins, dehydrated fruits, dried flowers).
    She is better now, she started to jump again but she still doesn't eat as much as she used to.

5. Ada Dmt

Ada Dmt PetForums Newbie

She is eating but not like she used to...Maybe she needs a few days to fully recover!

6. Ada Dmt

Ada Dmt PetForums Newbie

She was not supervised while she was in the bathroom, but my mother looked after and said there was nothing she could eat there that could hurt her. We are very careful about the things that are in the bathroom when we let her play there.
    I was feeding her with pellets and hay at the beginning. We also give her a mix which is more for Guinea Pigs(Cavie GrandMix) and Ola standard. My mum give her treats sometimes(raisins, dehydrated fruits, dried flowers).
    She is better now, she started to jump again but she still doesn't eat as much as she used to.

7. mrs phas

mrs phas my home, my sofa, my rules

please stop giving her anything NOT MEANT FOR CHINS, especially stop giving her dehydrated fruit, raisins ( except in an emergency and then only 1/4 at a time) chins are so prone to becoming diabetic you just wouldn't believe it
    they really only need good quality timothy or meadow hay, from a reputable supplier, NOT from a hay yard etc
    tbh whilst be very well meaning and obviously loving her, you sound a little naive when it comes to chin health and needs
    Id advise you to join a good chinchilla forum, where people will be more knowledgeable and happy to help a new starter in the, sometimes, upto 20yr life span of a chin

Tiggers, Ada Dmt and Marcia like this.
  8. Marcia

Marcia PetForums VIP

I totally agree here, a guinea pig and chinchillas diets are completely different, that should be your first priority to fix. They're a rather complex small animal to care for but you will grasp it :)

Ada Dmt likes this.
  9. Ada Dmt

Ada Dmt PetForums Newbie

I stopped giving her treats and also I will change her diet. We have to be more careful now.
    Thank you for your advice!

10. Tiggers

Tiggers PetForums Member

Chinchillas should be fed a diet of good quality chinchilla pellets, good quality Timothy hay with strictly no fruit, veg, fresh or dried, nuts seeds or raisins. Nor should chinchillas ever be allowed to exercise out of cage unsupervised, or for excessive periods of time. If you are unsure of the correct care for your chinchilla, please ask, and advise can be given.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice