Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Help!

Discussion in 'Bird Chat' started by Pego, Feb 11, 2018.

1. Pego

Pego PetForums Newbie

Hi, I’m new to this forum and not very good at these things, so please bear with me! I would appreciate any help
    I can get . We have an African Grey who we bought from some people 7 years ago . We have never been able to get him tame. He used to let me stroke his head but I can’t do that anymore . He has started biting me when I put my hand in his cage. When he comes out it’s impossible to get him back into his cage . He will sit on our shoulders , but if I go near him when he’s somewhere else other than on my shoulder , he’ll bite me. he has also pulled out some chest feathers . He talks well and has a varied diet . He doesn’t SEEM distressed but often does a piercing noise and often won’t stop for ages. Someone told me he looks under weight which really worries me now . Although someone else he doesn’t . He’s always looked a bit scruffy soncecwe got him . What am I doing wrong ? I’m at the end of my tether . Please can anyone help ?

2. Ember

Ember PetForums Newbie

Is he ok now? I had a problem with my half tamed crimson going through a stage of looking ruffled, being more aggressive and pulling on feathers violently. I found this was because he was beginning to molt and when birds begin to molt they experience discomfort and pain from being touched and just in general.

3. Pego

Pego PetForums Newbie

4. Pego

Pego PetForums Newbie

Hi Ember. Thank you for replying . No he’s been like it for ages. He had never really been that tame

5. Pego

Pego PetForums Newbie

Hi Ember,
    Thank you for replying . No he’s never really been that tame . He wasn’t handled much by his previous owners, he is 7 now and I wonder whether it’s too late now? He isn’t moulting and his feathers startcto grow through and he pulls them out again . I’m trying to get a pellet based organic food in case it could be his diet as I read this is better.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice