Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help!!

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Kenz, May 5, 2017.

1. Kenz

Kenz PetForums Newbie

My Queen just gave birth a week ago to 8 kittens. They're barely mobile and still have their eyes closed. However, today one is missing! Would she have moved just one?! I really don't want it to die and certainly don't want to come across a dead kitten nor smell one! :'( 0427172109.jpg 0427172109.jpg

2. Purplecatlover

Purplecatlover PetForums VIP

Has she been in the same room with the door locked? Have you checked where she's sleeping that she's not laid on top of it?

moggie14 likes this.
  3. Kenz

Kenz PetForums Newbie

She's not kept in one room. But, she doesn't leave them often. Yes, I have checked everywhere.

4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Are you allowing her to go outdoors? If so she could have moved one outside.

5. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

How recent is this photo?
    Check under the blanket they are on, including checking all of the folds. Unfortunately because she is free to come and go she could have moved the kitten and it could be anywhere now. Kittens of this age chill and die very quickly :(

Calvine and spotty cats like this.
  6. Kenz

Kenz PetForums Newbie

We don't let her outside. Hoping to get her spayed so we don't have more kittens before we allow her back out.

7. Purplecatlover

The only thing I can say is to start room by room and search everywhere!!! Tiny crevices & do room by room :(

8. Kenz

Kenz PetForums Newbie

The photo is from the day after they were born. I was just wondering if it was typical for her to move just one. I assume I would have heard it but haven't yet. Hoping it hasn't died somewhere already. :'(

9. Purplecatlover

When was the last time you noticed all the kittens were there? Have you been in today? And so seen where your cat has been? Is there any wardrobes or places that are full of things, the kitten could be in there or under???

10. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Very glad you don't allow her out. Cats can get pregnant again while still feeding kittens.

I would have another look around the house, under beds, cupboards, sofas etc. in case she has tucked the kitten away somewhere.

Was the missing kitten smaller, or feeding less well than the others?

11. moggie14

moggie14 PetForums VIP

Just a thought.... Wouldn't a week old kitten yell for Mummy when hungry? Try getting the house silent (relocate kids or other pets if possible for a bit) and wander around quietly listening out.

chillminx likes this.
  12. Purplecatlover

What room are they all in normally? & are they in a nesting box?

13. Kenz

Kenz PetForums Newbie

They were all there yesterday. They are in a nesting box in my bedroom. She rarely leaves the room. I guess I will look again through EVERYTHING.

14. Kenz

Kenz PetForums Newbie

I suppose I am not so worried anymore. Three others are gone now so she is obviously just moving them and I will just watch to see where she is taking them.

15. Purplecatlover

Literally look everywhere, even places you think they wouldn't get into. I hope for good news for you, the kitten HAS to be in the house somewhere there's no other option x

16. Purplecatlover

Please let us know xx

17. Kenz

Kenz PetForums Newbie

CRISIS AVERTED!
    found them in the very back of my closet with literally inches between the wall and a Rubbermaid Tote! Yay! Should I leave them there with nothing under them? I don't want to interfere much and have her move them again. IMAG0018.jpg

cows573 and Gwen9244 like this.
  18. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

Are all 8 there? If you are happy for her to remain there then I'd leave them but I think I'd want something under them to help prevent them from getting chilled and to protect the carpet.

spotty cats likes this.
  19. Kenz

Kenz PetForums Newbie

Yes they are all there! Hard to tell in the pic but I counted them several times lol. I think I'll just let her be for a bit before I try to do anything. I have the room warm. However I hope she'll let me move them back when they are more mobile so I don't have kittens lost in every nook and cranny.

20. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

I hope you'll be neutering the kittens before they are adopted out at 12-14 weeks old, Mum can be spayed at the same time as her kittens.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice