Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Beth&delilah, Feb 28, 2017.

1. Beth&delilah

Beth&delilah PetForums Newbie

Hello
    My little one is called Delilah and she is 10 weeks old, she is pretty good except she only ever sleeps till about 3am/4am. Loads of people have just told me just to leave her to whimper but she screams and worries neighbours will be annoyed.
    She is creted in the kitchen, she has lots of blankets and I cover it also. I have no problems putting her in and she goes straight to sleep however mornings are a nightmare ! She has toys on there to play with too. I've gone down sometimes to see if she needs toilet but she doesn't!
    Any advise is welcome
    A very tired owner !

2. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Regarding the crying in her crate, remember she has just been taken away from he mum and littermates. Don't rush the crate, make it a fun place. Don't close the door until she is happy in there. Put a t shirt you have worn in the crate with her toys and bed. Only ever use the crate for good things, never punishment. If she cries you are going too fast.
    At night, it's a good idea to have her crate in your room to start with so she knows you are close by. You can put a hand down to stroke and comfort her if she gets distressed. Please don't ignore her, you wouldn't ignore a crying child and leave her in an empty room.

Comforting her when she is distressed is fine and will strengthen your bond. Unfortunately many people make the mistake of allowing a puppy to cry in the hope that they grow out of it, when actually all they have done is cement in the puppies mind that being left in the crate (or alone, or whatever is causing the crying) is indeed a terrible thing, and for many dogs this fear becomes a learned habit.

Gradually you can start moving the crate away to outside the bedroom door, near the room you want her to sleep in, and eventually into that room. With puppies learning, everything is done in little steps, and if anything starts to fail, you go back a step and stay there longer.

Also in your room you are more likely to hear her if she moves and needs out to toilet. With young puppies it's too long to expect them to hold on all night (their little bladder and bowels aren't big enough or strong enough) so set your alarm for a couple of times in the night.

During the day though you should start to get her used to being alone for short periods so when she isn't interacting with you (to make your leaving less of a contrast) just walk out the room then back in - build up the time gradually.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  3. Beth&delilah

Beth&delilah PetForums Newbie

Thanks for the advise, she is fine left in day for short periods and has a playpen for the day. I've given her things in crate from me and toys. She likes her crate and goes in with no issues at all.
    I've found that comforting her and then leaving her again makes her worse :/ feeling like she won't ever gets used to it

4. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

She may need to go out for a wee, you should be taking her out every 2 to 3 hours even if she doesn't do anything.

Have you thought of putting the grate in your living room and sleeping on the sofa until she has settled, thats what I did when we had Dillon.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  5. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

She sounds like she might be feeling alone in the night, especially if she cried all the more if you leave her after comforting her. I still suggest having her bed in your room for a few nights is worth trying.

Lurcherlad and Beth&delilah like this.
  6. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Have her near you at night and take her out for toilet breaks.

She needs reassurance (leaving her to cry might make her anxious dog) and she is still very young to be going through the night.

JoanneF, Muttly and ouesi like this.
  7. ouesi

ouesi Guest

All of our puppies start our in our bedroom where we can teach them appropriate sleep manners (don't wake the sleeping human unless it's an emergency) and can also feel connected and bonded to us. From there we slowly transition to wherever the dog will be sleeping eventually (I prefer not to have dogs in our bedroom at night).
    Done slowly and as the dog gains confidence, it's not an issue.

Magyarmum likes this.
  8. foxiesummer

foxiesummer PetForums VIP

Maybe she is hungry.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice