Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

****HELP****

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by RickiG10, Sep 30, 2015.

1. RickiG10

RickiG10 PetForums Newbie

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and desperately need some advice.

I have had a cat for 5 years, he was a stray I started to feed then eventually took him on full time. He is a well behaved loving cat. However he is very timid, he will jump and run at the drop of a pin, if someone new comes into the house he is very weary and scared around them to begin with. I recently moved house and it took him a good few months to stand his ground against the local cats of the area.

So my dilemma is now my girlfriend is adamant on getting a dog, I've insisted for the past 2 years that it wouldn't work because of the cat and I fear he would run away or live in constant worry of this puppy/dog. She has done research and beleives a cocker spaniel (which ironically is what she wants) will be a good choice, and I'm sure providing the dog/cat are introduced properly then the dog will know the cat is apart of the family too. She plans on taking it to work with her everyday, so the cat will always be on his own during working hours. However I fear it will push the cat away and you'd have to meet him to understand how timid he is.

Does anyone have any experience or advice on this matter, perhaps some suggestions on how it could work, as I don't think I'm going to win this argument lol.

Thanks
    Ricki

#1 RickiG10, Sep 30, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
  2. Wiz201

Wiz201 PetForums VIP

I think a cavalier king charles spaniel would be better, they're one of the breeds less inclined to chase.
    However I do agree with your girlfriend that dogs and cats can be introduced, we've done it. If dogs are introduced as puppies and with good training, they can learn to ignore the cats or even better they can be good buddies too. We've introduced Golden Retrievers and a heinz 57 x breed with no problems. We have a cocker spaniel x poodle right now, and I've found that the cocker spaniel in him makes him worse with chasing the cats but he stops short when we ask him to.

3. RickiG10

Hi Wiz,

thank you for your reply. This was my fear of the cocker, that it would chase the cat, maybe not with intention to hurt it but because it's breed within their nature. I'm not sure if there is any compromise on the breed of the dog, however if this is the case then my biggest fear is that it will chase the cat away.

4. RickiG10

Hi Wiz,

thank you for your reply. This was my fear of the cocker, that it would chase the cat, maybe not with intention to hurt it but because it's breed within their nature. I'm not sure if there is any compromise on the breed of the dog, however if this is the case then my biggest fear is that it will chase the cat away.

5. Ceiling Kitty

Ceiling Kitty Hides away from much through humour...

Cats and dogs can be introduced, but it doesn't sound like you're up for having a dog at all - ideally everyone in the household should be on the same page before you introduce a new pet or it may cause problems later on.

Wiz201 likes this.
  6. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Administrator
    Staff Member

I have a cat and 2 small dogs , the cat is 16 and pretty confident. My older dog was introduced 3 years ago, she was intrigued by the cat and wanted to play but never chased her. They did play hide and seek together round the furniture and lived together quite harmoniously.
    The younger dog initially tried to chase the cat but stopped when told , the cat would just refuse to run and stood her ground , no fun at all !
    I would say it could work with a confident cat and a compliant dog but wouldn't attempt it with a timid cat or prey-driven dog personally.
    The cat now seems to think we are taking the p*** by introducing another dog , however compliant , and now lives under the kitchen table ! She does wander round the garden unfazed when the dogs are out , they mostly ignore each other.

Wiz201 likes this.
  7. RickiG10

Thank you, It seems I'm getting a lot of mixed feedback. My main issue is obviously the pets, it's not fair on the cat and it would kill me if the worse case scenario happened and he ran away out of fear. On the other hand it's not nice to take this puppy in and then after a short space of time have to re home it because of the situation not working.

8. RickiG10

you're not far wrong lol

Wiz201 and SusieRainbow like this.
  9. Wiz201

Wiz201 PetForums VIP

best thing to do is give the cat her own space to hide in where the pup can't go. Some cats never take to dogs, we had an oriental balanese that still ran away long after the dog had forgotten that cats were for chasing. But the main thing was that she had places where she could run to and feel safe.

SusieRainbow likes this.
  10. Nettles

Nettles PetForums VIP

I've personally found introducing a puppy to a cat quite difficult as our pup is very inquisitive and boisterous and if given the chance, would constantly torment the cat to play.

After 3 months of safety gates, separate rooms and lots of training and commitment to controlling how they interact, it's only just starting to pay off and get a bit better.

Cockers vary in temperament like any dog but they wouldn't be a breed I would choose myself. Any that I have known haven't been very tolerant of cats. It would of course depend on the individual dog and I'm sure there are lots of people who have cockers that live very happily with cats.

Our cat is a very confident kitty who loves dogs and is very dog savvy but even he gets fed up with a playful puppy. If I was to do it again, I would go through a rescue and choose a slightly older dog that has been assessed with cats and tends to ignore them rather than wanting to make friends.

I think your cat would feel less stressed if it learns the dog doesn't have any interest in it whatsoever rather than a friendly one that wants to play.

11. Knightofalbion

Knightofalbion PetForums VIP

Excellent advice. Never get any pet unless there's 100% agreement on accepting it into the home and family.

12. Knightofalbion

Knightofalbion PetForums VIP

PS: A very warm welcome to the forum, dear Ricki

RickiG10 likes this.
  13. RickiG10

Thank you for your reply.

I've told her that t I've read mixed things about Cockers, however I think her heart is set on it. This puppy has come from a household with 3 cats (not sure how much of a help that will be as it's still a puppy)

I'm going to view the dog tonight, so I guess I'll grasp a feel on how they are.

Nettles likes this.
  14. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Administrator
    Staff Member

I think it's more a question of whether the cat is dog savvy to be honest !
    But good luck and I hope it works out.

15. OliberSyko

OliberSyko PetForums Newbie

I'd probably go against bringing a dog into the home no matter what breed. Because even if a dog does chase your cat it could get hurt by accident. I'd recommend a smaller dog to decrease the harm that could be caused such as a Pomeranian, a Shih Tzu, or a Maltese. All three are about the size of a cat and are either laid back or have a cats personality. Big dogs can be a risk I had an incident where my Spaniel actually injured my neighbours cat because he was simply bored and wanted to chase it

16. Wiz201

Wiz201 PetForums VIP

If its been born with 3 cats in the house that's a good start, at least it knows what a cat looks like. I'd give it a try personally, keep the puppy on a house line and use baby gates so the cat can escape and the puppy can't follow. When your supervising them together, make a big deal of the puppy ignoring the cat and playing with you. I recommend using a house line simply cause you can put your foot on it when he goes to chase a cat and you can stop him instantly, then call him and get his attention on something else.

RickiG10 likes this.
  17. jaycee05

jaycee05 PetForums VIP

Hi Ricki, I know exactly what your cat is like, I rescued a cat and he was so scared of everything it wasn't true, even when someone came to fix the broken boiler he was scratching at the door to escape in a panic, so I would be very wary of getting a very lively dog ,it sounds as if you are going to have one like it or not, but a calm laid back dog that is used to cats might work, might even help the cat with confidence if introduced properly
    Just make sure all doors and windows are shut when the dog arrives
    Good luck, I expect you have seen the puppy by now
    I look forward to reading about it

RickiG10 likes this.
  18. RickiG10

Hi All,

Although I am new to this forum, I thought it would be rude to not give you an update.

So we've had the puppy about a week and half now, all seems to be going pretty well. We have kept him out of the main bedroom as much as we can, as thats where the cat sleeps at night. Also followed advice of a stair gate, as well as using plug in's which are supposed to calm anxious pets/cats down. Although the cat knows the puppy is here he hasn't actively gone out his way to play or introduce himself. Although he was hesitant at first, there has been no change in his behaviour. He seems to come back at the same times of the day, not stopped eating etc.

I'd say there was even progress this week as they were both laying on the bed together (although at different ends) all in all it looks promising as he certainly hasn't ran off or changed his behavior at all.

I'll be sure to come back with some more updates, again thank you to everyone who responded with advice it's greatly appreciated. I'll leave you with a few pictures of the new addition. Hopefully I can come back with a pic of them together :)

Thank you
    Ricki

Attached Files:

Lurcherlad and Wiz201 like this.
  19. Wiz201

Wiz201 PetForums VIP

Excellent, glad its working out so far.

RickiG10 likes this.
  20. jaycee05

jaycee05 PetForums VIP

He is lovely so pleased its working out for you and him [not forgetting the cat of course lol ]

RickiG10 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice