Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

help?!

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by cathoarder, Sep 12, 2013.

1. cathoarder

cathoarder PetForums Newbie

I got a kitten not too long ago, I've been bottle feeding him for a little over two weeks and now he's about three weeks. He started not eating as much and now barely eats at all. He seems healthy he wanders around and climbs and seems alert and all that but he sleeps kind of alot I don't know if that's normal?? He's also lost an ounce or two what could I do to help him eat? I took him to the vet about a week ago so he's been dewormed and gotten an antibiotic shot and treated for fleas although he does still have some (I take them off as much as I can) he also had a bit of constipation and he's better now but he had a sore bottom (which the vet gave me ointment for) and that's fine now but now he's not wanting to eat and sleeps and has lost weight, any ideas what could be wrong/what I could do??? I'm desperate he's so sweet and I've lost a kitten before and don't want that to happen again so any help would be welcome
    (he also doesn't like the heating pad even on the lowest setting and with padding between and he's eating hartz brand kmr *don't worry he liked to go under blankets and cuddle up so he's plenty warm)

2. moggiemum

moggiemum PetForums VIP

hi and welcome , sounds like you are doing a good job , but maybe the fleas that are left on him are causing him to not thrive? you should get a suitable flay spray from the vet for his age as fleas can make kittens anaemic and they can even die if not treated , try to give a little raw mince and if possible the blood from the tray ,minced beef and minced chicken is good, not to much. continue with the kitten milk,

i think you can use frontline spray on young kitts , you apply it to the cotton wool ball and then wipe this over them, change bedding three four times a day ,hoover hover hoover:)

you have done a great job so far with this little one, and i hope its just the fleas that are zapping her energy,best wishes and keep in touch:eek:

3. nicolaa123

nicolaa123 Riley

Maybe ask for this thread to be moved to breeding you will get more advice..

Hope the little one gets better..

4. cathoarder

I still don't know why he wasn't wanting to eat but I gave him to a friend to take care of until he's weaned and he's eating for her and doing well. she's looking into milk or something that has extra nutrients and fat because he lost some weight, does anyone know of something like that?

5. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

Well done to your friend, and to you for letting her look after him.

I'd suggest she sticks to the KMR. Changing the forumla could upset his tummy, and feeding him something that's too rich could give him constipation. At 3 weeks she could introduce him to wet cat food. He will probably play with it to start with. If she gets a pate type she can loosen a tiny bit of it with a bit of warm water, and let him explore it. If it sounds messy it is!

6. cathoarder

He's about four weeks, is it normal for weaning kittens to completely reject milk? And how long should it take to get him to eat the regular wet food?

7. cathoarder

And could it be that (since I thought he was three weeks) I overfed him and now he's rejecting food for a day or two because he's too full from previous overfeeding and losing weight because he's not eating regularly? That's the only thing I can think of..

8. cats galore

cats galore PetForums VIP

did you manage to clear the fleas? fleas on tiny kittens can be deadly. i rescued a cat 4 weeks ago who had a litter of 3 week old kittens. they were infested with fleas and needed blood transfusions. they slowly went off their milk and sadly every one of them died. i'm not trying to scare you but i wanted to stress the dangers of fleas on young kittens. if it does still have fleas you must get it treated

9. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

If you are bottle feeding I suspect it's very hard to overfeed a kitten. Are it's stools normal? Does it pee? Are you keeping a weight chart? It should put on at least 5g every day, preferably 10g or more which is what a kitten being fed by it's mother would do. And as CG says, have you sorted the fleas?

10. cathoarder

Thanks everyone for the help but I just found out he had passed away late last night :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice