UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I am new to this forum, so I apologize for hitting everyone with this post right off the bat. First, I can say I am really happy to have found this forum, and I am glad to be connecting with other animal lovers.

My problem/question is this:

I have a 13 year old Siamese (Penny-the-Puma) and she is the sweetest little critter. She has a variety of health problems which I have worked to address over the years, and I have a local vet clinic that is helpful and capable. The problem is they haven't been able to help with the latest issue.

The Puma has the following identified health issues:

She had an "Idiopathic" Vestibular issue, which resulted in a stroke. This left her with pretty weak hind legs, but she still gets around OK.

Hyperthyroid, treated with 0.5ml Methizmazole (sp?) 2x a day.
High blood pressure, treated with 0.5ml Amlidopine 2x a day.
Stage one liver function issues, treated with 1.25ml Renal K, 2 x a day.

Overall she seemed pretty happy and relatively healthy, and not in any identifiable pain. She has been happy to curl up on her blanket and heating pad and sit next to me all day long. She has been a pretty happy cat.

Recently she seemed to just stop eating altogether and lost an alarming amount of weight very quickly. The vet did full blood work and determined her thyroid values had slightly elevated (so her dosage of Methizmazole was increase to the 0.5). There were no other issues with her blood work.

Worried about cancer, or other heavy issues, we did Xrays which didn't find any abnomalies (no tumor, bowel obstruction, etc.)

The vet also gave me some prescription pet food, which I have been feeding my cat through a syringe for more than a week now. The Puma still doesn't seem to want to eat on her own and she is very lethargic.

Additionally, when I feed my kitty (through the syringe) she begins to grind her teeth immediately. The sounds she makes are rather disturbing, as it sounds like she is really chomping her little teeth.

The vet didn't notice any dental issues, but should I have a more thorough dental exam done?

Any ideas? I love my little Puma and am very concerned about her?

Any suggestions are really appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Hi there and welcome,

Gosh, in the absence of any bloodwork to look at it's impossible to say exactly what's wrong. The inappetence could range from a 'reaction' to the medication(s) ( some folks have found their cats stopped eating while on Felimazole though this tended to occur early on ) to renal related issues.

When you mention Stage 1 liver issues, I assume you mean renal ones since you've mentioned the Renal K? Do you know what the latest ( renal) readings were and if any others were elevated? In fact, teeth grinding can be sign of stomach acid ( a common problem with kidney issues ) so I'm wondering about this since it can make cats feel nauseous and inappetent. Vomiting 'frothy' liquid is a classic sign. The same applies ( not eating ) high phosphorous levels. However, both are very treatable. Is blood pressure well under control?

When were the 'vestibular' issues diagnosed and what were the treatments? Usually this is a distinct condition and not related to strokes though occasionally one can be mistaken for the other, at least with the onset of symptoms. We had a case like this here recently.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi there and welcome,

Gosh, in the absence of any bloodwork to look at it's impossible to say exactly what's wrong. The inappetence could range from a 'reaction' to the medication(s) ( some folks have found their cats stopped eating while on Felimazole though this tended to occur early on ) to renal related issues.

When you mention Stage 1 liver issues, I assume you mean renal ones since you've mentioned the Renal K? Do you know what the latest ( renal) readings were and if any others were elevated? In fact, teeth grinding can be sign of stomach acid ( a common problem with kidney issues ) so I'm wondering about this since it can make cats feel nauseous and inappetent. Vomiting 'frothy' liquid is a classic sign. The same applies ( not eating ) high phosphorous levels. However, both are very treatable. Is blood pressure well under control?

When were the 'vestibular' issues diagnosed and what were the treatments? Usually this is a distinct condition and not related to strokes though occasionally one can be mistaken for the other, at least with the onset of symptoms. We had a case like this here recently.
Thanks so much for the response.

Yes, I did mean kidney, not liver....my bad. I don't know what the blood work values were, and frankly I wouldn't have known what they meant.

Her thyroid values (hyperthyroid) had increased the last time we went to the Vet, so the Vet increased dosage from .25 2 x daily to .50 2x daily.

One thought. I was told the Amlidopine was now being manufactured at 1/2 the prior strength. The Pharmacist told me to double her Amlidopine dosage, this was only a few weeks ago. I thought it was strange that the drug company would all of a sudden cut the strength in half?? If she were receiving too much Amlidopine would this cause her problems?

Otherwise, her blood pressure at last check (a couple of months ago) was well managed. Her Kidney values have held steady for over a year with the Renal K.

I forgot to mention we (the Vet and I) added Famotidine (0.2ml 1 x day) last week. As the Vet couldn't find any other problems she thought stomach issues might be a problem (as you suggested). I have been giving the Puma her 0.2ml dosage in the morning about 30 mins. before syringe feeding her. This doesn't seem to have impacted her appetite, but I will continue for a few more days to see if there are improvements.

I haven't seen any vomit at all from her.

The Vestibular problem was diagnosed perhaps two years ago and was pretty dramatic. She went from a running/jumping fiend, to a wobbly and disoriented kitty--- scared us to death. The treatment was pretty much to let it cure itself (while monitoring her BP, thyroid, Renal issues).

One more issue. The Puma has been prone to Urinary Tract Infections, and this has always been indicated by her incontinence. The day before yesterday she seemed to be doing much better (walking around, affectionate, some appetite), then all of a sudden she was incontinent and back to lethargic and no appetite.

Some other related info, we have two other cats about the same age that seem perfectly fine. All of our cats are "indoor" cats, but they do go on to our second story deck.

As you can see, I'm at a loss!

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Not sure I'm adding much to what Ianthi has said, but when my last cat was poorly and lost weight (he had cancer) he used to make a grinding noise when eating and my vet said that the weight loss can just make it seem noisier.

Has the vet suggested an appetite stimulant at all? My cat became depressed and distressed at syringe feeding but was happier when the appetite stimulant kicked in and gave him a proper hunger...

I hope things improve soon. Keep posting

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here is an update on my kitty.

This past Friday I noticed some swelling in her left cheek. I took her back to the vet, who observed quite a bit of inflammation inside of her mouth (left side), which is either the result of her teeth grinding, or the cause of it.

The vet is concerned that this may be cancer, which I really hope it is not. The Pumas cheek seemed to swell very quickly, faster then I would have expected a tumor to grow--but what do I know.

I am currently giving my kitty Clavamox (with Iron) 0.5ml 2x day, and I am still syringe feeding her. I also have pain meds which I am giving her 2x day. Overall, I THINK the swelling is starting to go down (Yeah!), although it could be wishful thinking. At the very least she has gained 1/2 a pound since I began syringe feeding her.

I will come back and update this, hopefully with good news!

Does anyone have any other ideas???

Thanks,

Chris

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Didn't want to read and run. I just want to say that I hope Puma gets better soon, and tell you how nice it is to hear someone doing everything they can to make kitty better and ease any suffering. Good luck.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks very much for the support! I really help I can get my little kitty through all of this.

I had a very frank talk with the vet about putting the Puma down, and I left the office in a very sad state. I figure if/when it's time to put her down, the Puma will let me know one way or another.

I will keep everyone posted.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.