UK Pet Forums Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We can't find Orion! Last time I saw him he as trying to find a place to hide (around 12pm or so) and since then he disappeared somewhere and we don't know where! I have searched the entire house about 6 times now there is no sign or sound of him! I went out twice today, no way he got out because I am very careful and literally open the door a few inches and run out and slam it behind me!

He is still settling as we only got him on Sunday so I know he is keen on hiding but he is due to be neutered tomorrow and needs to eat his last meal before 8.30pm latest! He hasn't visited the food bowls or litter since he went missing around midday (and he has slight runny stool too atm!)

At first I thought he was just hiding I would let him be for a while but this is crazy, no sign of him anywhere, we have literally looked in every nook and cranny, there are no possible hiding places left! Where on earth could he be?!

No windows open, no garden open, no possible way he could have got out :confused1: am really worried now :(

·
Registered
965 Posts
I would suggest fine tooth combing each room, room by room and once clear close that door.

That will reduce the rooms and stop you playing chase. Remember cats can squeeze into much smaller spaces then you imagine so really look hard.

Good luck.

·
Crazy Cat Lady of Bucks
14,968 Posts
Do you have fireplaces? He could be up the chimney?

Have you check inside the human beds?

Does him come when you shake the cat treats?

Seb had only been with us a couple of weeks when he disappeared, I knew there was no way he could get out, I searched frantically and found him sleeping in the pillowcase with the pillow.

I really hope you find him soon. keep us updated.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Several years ago a mate of mine was looking after his sisters cat.

Bear in mind that this cat didn't like men and hated loud noise... she left it in a house full of men that had house parties nearly every night :mad: so not quite sure why she left it there!!!!!!!!!

But after a few days they couldn't find it ANYWHERE they left cat food out pulled all the cupboards out nearly a week went past and nobody had seen or even heard from her (they thought she might of managed to get outside when someone opened the door)... I heated up some fresh fish and left it on a plate on the floor she came out from under the kitchen units and scoffed the lot.

Poor little girl :mad:

Some of Buttons hiding places:

Inside the sofa (Sofa with recliner are hollow and theres usually a flap on the back)

On top of the wardobe

In the airing cupboard

In the dirty laundry basket

The cupboard under the stairs.. usually pressed up right in the back under a stair!

In empty cardboard boxes (we found her in our new coffee machine box)

In the wardrobe

Under the duvet!!!!

·
Registered
8,368 Posts
Try not to panic, cats will do this! Especially new kittens!

Last week, one evening after we'd locked the cat flap, we lost Jumpy for a good 15 mins or so - he had been in the living room and then he'd just vanished!!! :eek:

I was hunting high and low calling him, wondering if he'd managed to pull up the catflap lock with his teeth - opened the back door, yelling for him in the pouring rain..... until he casually strolled out of the dining room!!!!! :eek6:

And this was a full-sized 1 year old cat.... you will be astounded at the tiny spaces they can hide in when they want to!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
don't panic - if there's no way he could have got outside then he MUST be in the house somewhere. as the others have said it's amazing what little nooks and crannies they can hide in. he's probably curled up somewhere oblivious to the panic he's causing!

·
Registered
475 Posts
We thought Eric must have escaped after he'd only been with us a couple of weeks. I desperation, we asked Alan (his breeder) to come and help us search. Alan walked in the house, shouted Eric once, and he came trotting down the stairs.

We thought we'd searched everywhere, but he was there somewhere. To this da we don't know where he was.

A couple of times since, though, I found him on a bookshelf behind the books...

·
Registered
77 Posts
We have a wicker basket which I keep my daughters toys in, I found Garfield behind that a couple of times and it is such a slim gap behind it because it is right up against the skirting board. So if you have any furniture up against the wall it is worth a look.

·
Registered
8,368 Posts
As he's still new to your house, he's probably just discovered a very cosy little place to have a sleep in! He's probably been snoozing there all day! They do like to feel secure and tucked away! Look in all the small spaces you can think of, and start boiling some chicken or fish or opening a tin of his fave food..... that should bring him out of hiding!! ;)

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
HE HAS BEEN FOUND!!! (huge sigh of relief!!!! )

He has been hiding since day 1, the places he has discovered, even Luna our first cat (now with us for 5 weeks) didn't find! He is 2yr and 7m so not really that small but has managed to fit into the strangest of places!

My husband finally found him (after combing each room like someone said!) happily snoozing behind the kids dollhouse (which was right up against the wall by the radiator!) and no wonder he wasn't too bothered, it was nice and warm there!!

He doesn't yet come when we call his name or when we shake pouches/ treats at him, I think he is still on alert mode with every little sound we/ kids make! So literally have to find him visually as there is nothing else to work with!

Anyway have given him a good portion of chicken and some treat to keep him going till morning...will have to tell the vets he ate a bit later than they advised!

I guess one good thing about loud/ noisy cats is you can hear them easily! Russian blues hardly ever miaow, days will go by without a sound...its like stealth mode!

Just so glad he didn't escape or anything!

Thank you all for the advice and the stories! :)

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
I once found Wilbur, a big grown up ragdoll, inside the sofa! He got under it and there was a little gap in the material so he climbed inside it. For days he just kept disappearing and I never knew where he was and one day I saw him coming out of his hiding place.

I found Giddit inside my motorcycle helmet. She must have pushed it up and then slept in it.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Previous hiding places include under the matress cover, on top of the mattress! On the kitchen cupboards (didn't even know cats could jump that high!) in chest of drawers in the back part that have been left slightly open, under duvet/ pillows...its like contsant hide and seek! :p

·
Slave to the Hairy Hikers
12,358 Posts
Underneath ofr behind the washing machine, tumble dryer, dishwasher, stove...
inside the duvet cover, pillowcase.....
in the linin cupboard, on top or behind my clothes.....
Behid the cushions on the sofa.....

just a few of the hiding places my cats have found so far....

And there have been times when we never found out WHERE they hid, they would just come out with an innocent face, as if nothing had happened.

Good thing you found him, though.....

G

·
Oh thank goodness. Was just about to come and screech to check the washing machine, dishwasher, tumble dryer and oven before you put them on!!!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Oh thank goodness. Was just about to come and screech to check the washing machine, dishwasher, tumble dryer and oven before you put them on!!!
Ohh I always have the washing machine closed, my 18m old is curious enough as it is! :p

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.